Java vs Flow vs PLS

Hi all!

I was wondering what’s your opinion regarding the different services we have at our disposal and which ones you prefer to use or if you use all of them, but in different scenarios:

• Application Platform;
  • Java conventional services;
  • Flow services.

Basically, as per your experience, which ones do you like to work with? In which situations would you use one, over the other one? What kind of benefits vs consequences each one of the above services have? Do you see any major performance impact on your services if you decide to use the Application platform, instead of a Flow? What about in terms of time effort to develop them?

I’m a BE developer, so I definitely go with Java. However, sometimes I’m not certain when should I use PLS or simply Java conventional services. My thumb of rule is that I find a lot easier to implement design patterns and OOP principles through Application platforms (good for bigger projects), where I use Java conventional services for quick solutions.

Let me know what’s your opinion, since this I think this is quite an open subjective topic.

Hi Rui,

we are currently not yet using Application Platform.

When ever possibly we are using Flow Services and when it is neccessary we are switching to Java Services.
Most cases where we are using Java Services is when it goes to certain transformations which are difficult to construct as Flow Services by using Built-In Services, but are written as a Java Service much more easier.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for sharing your experience :slight_smile: I totally agree with your statement. I think Java services tend to be more customizable than Flow services.

Thanks,
Rui

My thoughts.

As a thumb rule, go with the out-of-the-box features/services provided by the product (flow services) if it meets your requirement and leverage the product fully.

Write your custom java services class only if there is are no services to support the need.