Webmethods in Linuxrunning on Mainframe

Can some one please tell me if it is good practice to run webMethods in Linux running on Mainframe.Have any one done this before? will technical services support this kind of environment?Thanks in advance

Saritha,
I’m think as long as your Linux distribution supports it you probably will be okay, but you probably want to check the install guide/release notes to verify as well as a ticket to webMethods to verify. As far as overall support for Linux, they are getting better but… The actual mainframe adapter, does not run on Linux along with some other components that you might want to check out. Not sure if you use the mainframe adapter for anything but that would be something to consider. We do run websphere on the mainframe but that’s a different product.

We have put in a feature request for the actual mainframe adapter, but it is only still under consideration. And as I said they are some other components that do not currently run on Linux. I would go through the install guide and make sure everything I needed is there.

markg
http://darth.homelinux.net

Thanks Mark,
I am looking for other people comments …any comments RMG??

As far i know webMethods installed on Linux servers will work fine …but running linux on mainframe i dont have much info,sorry.

Thanks RMG…Any other coments please…

Saritha,

Why not give webMethods support a call and get it from the horse’s mouth?

Tate

Traditionally Mainframes are licensed differently than distributed servers. With mainframes you usually have to pay big bucks for all installed products once you reach certain processing thresholds.

This would probably make the mainframe the most expensive place to run webMethods.

Thanks Tate and Adam for your replies…any other comments please…

Hi,

I have seen that Linux on zSeries has support for webMethods 6, but It is removed for 6.5. Just check advantage.

Saritha,

Hope you got enough info…

Regards,

Mainframe computers having facilities that any os can run on Mainframes as Linux or z/OS.but one thing is very important that linux is not emulated on mainframes that means it runs as complete native operating system.
it is called z/VM
z/VM operates inside an LPAR, like any other mainframe OS. This provides two levels of Linux virtualization: based on hardware, and based on a hardware-assisted hypervisor. Moreover, z/VM can also be a guest of z/VM, creating nested levels of virtualization at any number of levels deep. Nested virtualization has extra overhead, so running z/VM as a guest is primarily used for testing purposes.
so for more informations that how Linux runs on mainframes you can visit mainframes.