Version Controls support in webmethods designer, am using Webmethods Free Trail ver: 10.11

Hi all,

I am investigating options for version control with webMethods.
Can we use github, gitLab, TFS and other version control system within the web method designer.?

Thanks for your help
M.Haseeb

1 Like

Hi Muhammad,

as long as there is an Eclipse plugin for VCS you intended to use available in Eclipse Marketplace and you have the matching VCS backend running and accessible from your Developers workstations, you can use nearly any available VCS with Designer.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hello Holger
Thanks for your response

I am new to webMethods. I have no prior experience / knowledge of webMethods integration with any VCS.

I would like to know how can I integrate webMethods with TFS or GitHub specifically.

If you or any other community member has any experience of webMethods integration with VCS like TFS/GitHub, then pls share a high level sequence of steps with me as it will give me some direction to start.

I understand I need to install eclipse plugin for desired VCS first. But then whats next?? Like what would be next few steps (after installing required plugin)?

Thanks

Hi Muhammad,

after installing the VCS-specific plugin from Eclipse Marketpalce to your Designer installation you will find a new perspective with the name of the chosen VCS (for us this is Subversion based on Subclipse plugin as we already had Subversion repo running).
Here you can configure the URL (location) of your repo and perform an initial checkout of objects when they already exist.
Additionally you will need the perspective “Team Synchronization”, which uses the repo configured in the previous mentioned perspective and will be used by all further activities when adding, updating etc. objects in the repo. This “Team Synchronization” perspective has entries in the context menu (accessible via right click) in the various Development perspectives (like Services, Processes, UI, …).

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

In addition to the guidance from @Holger_von_Thomsen be sure to review the documentation from SAG about what is and is not supported via VCS plug-ins. There are many limitations so be sure to understand what those are and how they may impact your development processes.

1 Like

Hi Haseeb,
You can also take a look at quick video around Integrating a Version Control System (VCS) with webMethods Service Designer | Software AG - YouTube .
~Prashant

3 Likes

Hello Holger,

1. After reading documentation i have successfully cloned a git repo in SAG Designer.
  2. Am able to commit and push on git repo using SAG Designer.

Now the problem am facing is that, am unable to add package from designer to the Git Repository.

Regards,
M.Haseeb

Hi Muhammad,

as far as I understood the LocalServiceDevelopment feature, the package needs to be part of an IS package project, which then can be added/commited to VCS.
Packages outside of any IS package project cannot be added/committed to the VCS directly.

Use the “Team Synchronization” perspective when synching/adding objects related to the active repository.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.