Uprading from 9.0

I’m looking at the Supported Upgrade Paths document and I am unsure how to interpret this document.
It is attached.
What does the purple vs grey bars represent?
Can I upgrade 9.0 to 10.1 directly or do I need an interim release of 9.5?
If I require 9.5 can I then go to 10.2 directly or do I have to step through all the other interim releases?
The diagram appears to be conflicting itself to me based on how I am interpreting it.

I know it’s a side by side upgrade.
The intended target release will be the 10.2 innovation release for testing and the 10.3 for PROD when released in October.

I appreciate anyone that can clear up my confusion.
Thanks
Chris

Supported_Upgrade_Paths_for_Software_AG_Products.pdf (16.4 KB)

Hello Chris,

Grey color means not supported whereas purple means the direct path is supported.

For eg., direct target paths for 90 can be 95/96/97/98/99/910/912.

In your case for 90 to 10.1 direct path is not supported. First, you need to migrate from 90 to 95/96/97/98/99/910/912(i.e. to any one of these available target release), I would suggest 90 to 912 then from 912 to 10.1.

Similarly, you can check other migration paths from pdf. We also recommend migrating to highest possible target release(as that is more stable as compared to prior release) first in case of hop migration.

Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Thanks & Regards,
Abhishek

Thank you

Hi Chris,

I agree with Abhishek.

Additionally I would suggest to migrate to 10.1 for testing and production as this will be supported for the next 2 1/2 years at least.

So next migration which should be considered will be from 10.1 to 10.5 when released end of next year.
Or you can wait for 10.7 (due end of 2020).

This reduces time efforts for downloading installation images and fix images as you can use the same images (in this case for 10.1) on all environments you require (dev, test, qa, prod, …).

Regards,
Holger

Why not 10.3 vs 10.1?
We are in planning stages so by the time 10.3 rolls out in October the timing might be perfect.

Thoughts?

Chris

Hi Chris,

sure, why not?

When wM 10.3 is already released when migration to 9.12 has finished you can go to 10.3 then and check for 10.9 as next hop.

So you will have to migrate only every 3 years instead of every year.

Regards,
Holger

I will clarify in the supported upgrade paths doc that purple = supported direct upgrade path from old release

Marianne