Unable to Send Email in MFT (Post-Processing Rule)

Hi Experts,

Would like to ask for your help. I am trying to send an email in MFT using the ‘Send email’ action in the post-processing rule, however I am getting this error: “Action failed : Email action Send email failed. Error java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect”. Would like to know if what should I do in order to fix this and proceed with sending an email.

Advance thank you.

Is the target SMTP server that you’ve configured is online? That error means that the service cannot connect to the target server on a specific TCP port.

2 Likes

Can you confirm if SMTP server is configured in IS admin page, in case you may have missed it. Another test you can do is to invoke IS service pub.client:smtp to check if you are able to send email. MFT internally uses this service.

Thanks,
Bhaskar

3 Likes

Hi Mike & Bhaskar,

I’m trying to send an email from internal (localhost) to a gmail account. I also have configured SMTP server on the IS admin page however I am not sure if I did it correctly. Please see below snippets for the details.

MFT:

IS Admin:
Settings->Resources

Settings->Extended

Hi,
You have configured you SMTP server host as localhost, are you sure if SMTP server is hosted locally?

Thanks,
Bhaskar

1 Like

Hi,

when sending emails from IS you can either use the specific mail service from your company or you can try to use the GMAIL SMTP Server.
You can find the technical parameters here:

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Your configuration here has a prerequisite, an email server must be online running on the same machine. Have you ensure that you’ve such server in place? If you don’t have, I suggest you to download https://www.hmailserver.com/ and setup the email account there. Then your MFT configuration can connect to the hmailserver via TCP port 25.

2 Likes

Hi Holger & Mike,

Thank you for your help, I am now able to send an email from MFT to a gmail account. I downloaded the hmailserver and created a domain “gmail.com” and then created a user and opened the new account using thunderbird.

MFT configuration:

Send email action (ActiveTransfer):

Email received:

Just want to know if email address could only be set as fixed and only one or it can be dynamic and many (like use a variable substitution?), anyways thank you so much for the help. Highly appreciated!

1 Like

Hi,

Since this is a configuration in MFT module in MWS, I think for now it’s only configurable in the MWS UI itself. However you can check if there is any WmMFT public service available to make change to it or not.

1 Like

There is a public service in WmPublic: pub.client:smtp which can be used for sending emails from IS side.
See IS Built-In-Services Reference for details.
But this one also requires connectivity to an active smtp server somewhere.

Regards,
Holger

1 Like

Hello All,

I have scenario where we create a scheduled event and move files from source to destination. We have a business requirement where post moving/copying files to destination we have to send an email to the respective mail Ids whether it is success or failure. Is there a way that we can give those mails Ids dynamically instead of giving them as for ex: abc@def.com,xyz@def.com
I’ve tried calling an IS service and storing the mails IDs in the output and passing it as %toemail% in the send email action. But it didn’t work as the to email in the send email action should be in xxx@def.com
Is there a way that we achieve this ?
I know we can use IS service to send email by calling IS service in MFT action, but for instance if find or copy action fails we cannot capture the output of those actions whether it is successful or not and send a mail based on the status (correct me if I’m wrong)…

Bit lengthy.
Thanks in advance,
Abhiram