UM pub / sub via REST API

webMethods 10.15 Universal Messaging

I went through the UM documentation but didnt come across any reference to REST API based pub / sub methods. I only have found mention of JAVA API, C# API etc. for the connectivity and pub/sub.

Am I missing something or REST API based pub sub isnt supported on on-prem UM?

Regards

Hi,
Please check below Universal Messaging documentation on REST plugin.

https://documentation.softwareag.com/universal_messaging/num10-15/webhelp/num-webhelp/num-webhelp/to-restplugin.html#

Thanks,
Yogesh

The REST Plugin mentioned above is for Events (i.e., admin and operational activities), not Messages.

Your question is incorrect since a messaging subsystem does not provide an integration service. It’s similar to expecting a database to give you a REST integration service.

UM provides APIs using which you build integrations. You must create REST services on webMethods Integration Server, or another platform using the Java and other APIs that UM supports.

UM, as always, supports webMethods Messaging (native pub-sub), JMS, MQTT, and others.

KM

Thanks Kasi. Makes sense.

However, its rather incorrect to say that messaging platforms dont provide integration services.
There are a number of messaging middlewares such as IBM websphere MQ, AWS SNS / SQS, Azure Service bus etc which provide certain application functionalities like pub/put/sub/get etc over http out of the box.

I was hoping UM to have a similar offering.

Nonetheless, thank you for your answer. Much appreciated.

Thank you, I learnt something new about Messaging apps.

KM

It does support publish and subscribe pattern according to this documentation; however, I don’t recommend using the rest API without using Integration Server unless your app uses UM server internally, meaning that UM server is not used anywhere else. If the UM cluster is shared with other apps, then you should wrap these pub/sub functions with IS services. Trust me you won’t want to search for each and every app owner that uses UM queues when you want to upgrade your environment to a higher version.

2 Likes