Trading Networks: Delivery Settings Substitions (wmDeployer)

Hi All,

The Client I am working with is facing a challenge when deploying TN assets via Deployer. Ideally they would like to complete runtime deployments and are looking to remove as much manual work as possible in the post deployment. One area we are stuck on is understanding if wmDeployer supports in anyway the enviromental substition of partner profiles, specifically Delivery Settings. I have achieved this type of result previously in wmdeployer when deploying other wm assets specificall jdbc adapters, but I could not see a method of achieving this with the TN Partner profiles. alternatively has anyone solved this issue using any other method.

Many thanks,
Kareem.

Hi Kareem,

ideally, this should be a task for the map step while defining the deployment project by using variable substitution.
But I am not sure if this type of assets is supported here.

As long as I was working with the webMethods Suite we have never deployed Adapter Connections, Adapter Listeners or TN Profiles as they were highly dependent on the specific environment and did not change very often so we only created them once per environment and updated them manually when neccessary.

Regards,
Holger

2 Likes

I’ve had the same experience. Post-deployment activities for these items is almost always a one-time activity. We never deploy adapter connections with Deployer. And never automated TN components either – very little value to be gained there because they don’t change much if ever.

The intent of this is understandable. Reduce manual activity. But for these types of components, it doesn’t reduce much if any. The activity to define the substitution vars is still manual somewhere. And indeed, what this introduces is additional work in troubleshooting the automation scripts when things go wrong. Invariably, someone at some point forgets to configure the prod settings in the right place. So then there is work to figure out why the script didn’t work and recover. And depending upon the settings/activity after the “bad” deployment, the data impacts can be disastrous.

This is not to say “avoid automation in deployments.” Rather, be selective and use it when it actually provides value that offsets the potential issues. For us, there was no value in automating adapter connection pools nor TN profiles. Just spend the 5 minutes to manually define them in prod and be done with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi,

deploying TN DocTypes and TPAs should be fine as they do not have enviroment specific parts, but the profiles are environment specific and therefore should not be deployed, but created manually instead.

Regards,
Holger

Tried mws …exporting assets (partner profiles ) as an xml.

Update the xml contents as required and import it in higher environment …not sure if it helps ?