Timeout in a task step

Hello guys,

I’ m trying to create a task with a timeout of 10 days…

The task should have two transitions one for the normal sequence of the process as if the user accepted and completed the task in 10 days. But in the case it takes more than 10 days it should terminate the process.

I don’t know why, but it is impossible to have a timeout transition in a task step and I’m not able to see a solution for this… It should be simple, right?

Regards,
Tiago Nunes

Hello,

you could use a Data/Time based event in the task to close the task after 10 days. In the event actions you could set a flag telling your process that the task timed out.

Regards,
Mathias

Hey there,

Thanks Mathias, it is a nice and easy way to do it.

Let me just post the solution:

In the “events” tab of the task I created an event of “Date/Time Event” type giving the “Creation Date” as “Start date”.
Then I created two actions for this event, one setting up a variable and another cancelling the task, IN THIS ORDER.
For the last I had two transitions looking up for that variable…

The only problem, which is not a problem in my case but it could be in yours, is that we cannot have a good precision in this timeout. I didn’t lookup to solve this issue, but i think it is not possible to solve it with Events…

Regards,
Tiago Nunes

Hello,

yes you are right. By default the schedulers for date/time events run every minute. I do not know if you can specify a lower interval. You can try in the Scheduled Event Administration in the sysadmin console.

Regards,
Mathias