Stats Log Parser Utility Comments and Review

Guys,
Do check this new utility just uploaded at shareware. I just checked it myself and my first impression of it is fantastic.

It lets you look and decipher the stats.log file graphically . In the past, I have used another xls based utility in wmusers.com shareware to do the same. But this one is much more advanced and useful. And its graphical (it lets you zoom, save a section of the graph, etc etc)

I think this will be of great help to Administrators for any analysis. I will continue to review this.

Great work Simhead!!

• Saurabh

Saurabh,

There are no instructions to use the tool.could you tell me how to use this tool.

Thanks
ramesh.

Looks pretty interesting to me too, cannt wait to try it out. Instructions on how to use this tool will be great.

-L

just type java -jar <jar-file-name> and Open the stats.log file

if you face any issues, let me know.

I am using it right now, and it is pretty cool but one problem is that it is little heavy and taking little bit longer to display results. Other than that it is a really useful tool.

Gr8 utility Simhead

Regards,
Puneet Saxena

Simhead uploaded a readme.txt file for the StatsParseUtil tool here.

Mark

Is anybody else is having hard time using this tool i mean this tool is great and everything but it takes too much time to display result. i just want to make sure if its my system or the application.

I had no problems running it on my laptop.

What is the size of the stat’s log you trying to parse? I dont know if its anyway dependent on this factor.

You can also try the java -Xms<mem> -Xmx<mem> -jar <jar-file-name>

Thanks.

TAZ,

Please upgrade from 386 with 16M of memory to use the utility.

Mark

Since so many people have already tried n found it working, I am sure I must missing a step… When I try to start this tool I get the following error. The fantasy car shows but that’s about it… Wonder what it is that I am missing :-/

<pre> 
cusrrent laf Windows 
Exception occurred during event dispatching: 
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError 
        at simhead.StatsParse.StatsParseUI.showStatsParseUI(StatsParseUI.java:40 
5) 
        at simhead.StatsParse.StatsParseUI$3.run(StatsParseUI.java:222) 
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source) 
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source) 
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source) 

at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source) 
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source) 
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source) 
</pre>

Rohit,

How are you starting the tool from the command line? What JVM are you using?

Mark

Would be really cool to load multiple log files at a time to get a multi-day view of mem, threads, etc. We had one scenario where looking at freemem over 9 days showed us precisely where memory fell off a cliff–allowing us to narrow our search to the packages that were deployed that day.

Mark,

I knew it had to be something silly… thanks for pointing it out… I was starting it at command line and the java version was set to 1.3.1 in the env… the tool requires 1.4.x or above(as it says in the readMe).

Later.

Another thought. Would be cool to couple this UI with an IS package that had a service that retrieves the data from one or more stats files. The UI could be changed to have a “Connect to…” menu item. The dialog would prompt for server, port, credentials, number of days of stats. The UI would invoke the service of the IS package to get the stats then display them. This would allow viewing of stats of any IS instance without needing to have file-level access to the box.

Is the source available? Might be fun to add this myself.

Hello,

Yemi Bedu

Saurabh,

Can you please give me the link where exactly the utility in the shareware.

Goto:

[URL=“wmusers.com”]wmusers.com

Leon

Its my pleasure to see many people used my tool and left some positive comments. I really thanks them for using my tool.
Basically my tool is based on JDK 1.4 Sample SwingSet GUI and I simply modifed to let it display for webM’s stats.log.

Yes. I really liked the idea of doing more interaction with IS server and I will do more work on it to make this happen.
If anyone has any idea to share then please don’t hesistate to send me an email to simhead@gmail.com

Thanks guys,
simhead.

Hi there,

I have downloaded the current package from Shareware but it is missing the jar file.

Please help!!!

Thanks,

Steve