sizeOfList NullPointerException wM6.5 SP2

Hi All,

I am facing the following problem:
In the error log of a IS the following line is frequently listed;

2011-11-17 13:48:11 MET pub.list:sizeOfList java.lang.NullPointerException Stack trace data … 677183e0111a11e1b36ec2abec95a0a2 NULL 677183e0111a11e1b36ec2abec95a0a2

The Stack Trace data is;

java.lang.NullPointerException
at pub.list.sizeOfList(list.java:362)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor82.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.JavaService.baseInvoke(JavaService.java:322)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.process(InvokeManager.java:612)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.StatisticsProcessor.process(StatisticsProcessor.java:44)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ServiceCompletionImpl.process(ServiceCompletionImpl.java:226)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ValidateProcessor.process(ValidateProcessor.java:49)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ACLManager.process(ACLManager.java:198)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.DispatchProcessor.process(DispatchProcessor.java:39)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.AuditLogManager.process(AuditLogManager.java:411)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.invoke(InvokeManager.java:521)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.invoke(InvokeManager.java:369)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ServiceManager.invoke(ServiceManager.java:246)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.BaseService.invoke(BaseService.java:168)
at com.wm.lang.flow.FlowInvoke.invoke(FlowInvoke.java:324)
at com.wm.lang.flow.FlowState.invokeNode(FlowState.java:581)
at com.wm.lang.flow.FlowState.step(FlowState.java:438)
at com.wm.lang.flow.FlowState.invoke(FlowState.java:403)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.FlowSvcImpl.baseInvoke(FlowSvcImpl.java:982)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.InvokeManager.process(InvokeManager.java:612)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.StatisticsProcessor.process(StatisticsProcessor.java:44)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ServiceCompletionImpl.process(ServiceCompletionImpl.java:226)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.ValidateProcessor.process(ValidateProcessor.java:49)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.ACLManager.process(ACLManager.java:198)
at com.wm.app.b2b.server.invoke.DispatchProcessor.pro

Within the IS, the sizeOfList is used on different spots. As the message in the error log is rather basic and occuring in Prod Env, I am not able to locate in which flow the error message is generated.

I have tested the pub.list.sizeOfList extensively. With or without null input fields. In two different environments (wM6.5 SP2 and wM6.5 SP3) I was not able to let the service crash.

Can anybody give me a hint.

Thanks in advance,
Kind regards,

Guus Kessler

In one of those different spots you found that use sizeOfList, it is occassionally passing null to the sizeOfList service. You’ll need to work with the developer’s to find out which and fix it.

Thanks for your promt reaction.
I asumed this too. So I tested the sizeOfList indepently. Within a flow I dropped the input list (String and Document). I ran it without defining any input string(List) to map to the sizeOfList service. In all occasions it returned 0. Basically the sizeOfList has to be able to run without an input string(List). This is also what the BIS document states. Within the search I found problems in older releases (4.6), but it should have been solved long since.
Kind regards,

Guus

Hi All,
I am very pleased to be able to explain the cause of the Exception in the sizeOfList. I was able to localize the flow which caused the Exception. Within the flow a documentList is used as the input field. The actual value of the object was null as Reamon suggested. Thanks for that Reamon.
The input value (null) caused the service to crash.

Thanks all for your input.

Krgds