schema and data validation

Hi there,
I’m using Tamino 4.1 (and am very new to Tamino).I have a schema (and let’s call it schema_xyz), and wanted to load data. The problem is that I want some of my instances (type A)to be validated according to this schema, but for other instances (type B), I wanted them to skip the schema, i.e., not to be validated. Is it possible? Both type A and B are xml data for the same collection. They are similar in data structure and have the same outmost tags. I’m using X-Plorer to load instances, but am open to other tools if they allow what’s described above.

Thanks,
Jane

Hi,

this is a little bit tricky. Tamino determines a “doctype” based on the root element.
I understand, both “types” have the same root element. Of course, the easiest way to
get around this is to store “type A” in one colleciton and “type B” in another one. I understand that
you want to have them both in the same collection.

You can conciser the concept of “open content” - a property of a doctype. This allows a document to
have parts that are not declared in the schema. BUT, those parts that are in the schema will be validated. Hard to say more without seeing the “type A” and “tyoe B” documents and the schema

Regards

Harald

Hi Jane

if you intend to store documents with the same QName (i.e. the pair of local name and URI) in a single collection, Tamino will select the same doctype to store them - and the same schema to validate them. For your scenario, that means that you have to store your documents of type A and B in two different collections. One collection may have a schema which describes the respective doctype with a very detailed schema, whereas the other collection’s schema contains just an untyped root element (thus allowing for arbitrary content).
The only disadvantage of storing the documents in seperate collections is that Tamino 4.1 does not yet allow for cross-collection XQuery-Requests. This, however, is solved in Tamino 4.2.

I hope this provides you with some ideas how to solve your problem - if not you may want to provide some more details / background of your problem/scenario.

Best regards
Uli