RPC call between Natural on BS2000 and middleware

Hi all,
I would like to know if it’s possible to create RPC call from natural/adabas on BS2000 to send xml messages to an external middleware other than EntireX (on Windows)?

If possible, where can I find the related information?

Thanks in advance,

Thierry

No, RPC requires EntireX

Well, RPC requires EntireX, but if your external middleware accepts XML documents via HTTP you can run the XML RPC Server on Windows to do this job.

First of all thanks for you replies.

I’m brand new in mainframe’s and Software ag’s world…

Actually, the main prupose of my question is that I would like to produce XML messages from Natural and process them with the middleware.

At present, we are using EntireX as gateway between the mainframe and the middleware… which is quite stupid.

I’ve been thinking of producing the XML message straight from natural in transactional process, and the files would be accessed directly by the middleware.

We are using UTM interface and it seems that it’s impossible to produce files as explained hereabove…

If you have an idea about how to communicate, you’re welcome…

Cheers, Thierry

Hi Thierry,
Quote: "At present, we are using EntireX as gateway between the mainframe and the middleware… which is quite stupid. "
No it’s actually not that stupid (at least not for the time being ! )

If I understand you correctly you want the call to the middleware to be initiated from natural on BS2, and from my experience the UTM solution from Siemens (using UPIC or CPIC) are not much use here.
So until natural supports HTTP (which is on the roadmap for nat421) using EntireX is THE solution.
To my best knowledge you should be able to build up an full XML-document in one dynamic variable i natural and then have a .NET or java RPC-server on the windows-side that can pass on the XML to the other middleware (which one BTW?)
If it support SOAP it might be easier to do the natural->XML conversion using the EntireX-XML-RPC-server.

Finn

Thanks for info.

I had a closer look to the verions we are using:
Natural: v3.1.6
Adabas: v7.1.3
Middleware: Deliveryware (not real middleware but more a e-document management system)

I don’t know the element taking part in communication between mainframe and external system.

Quote: "So until natural supports HTTP (which is on the roadmap for nat421) using EntireX is THE solution. To my best knowledge you should be able to build up an full XML-document in one dynamic variable i natural and then have a .NET or java RPC-server on the windows-side that can pass on the XML to the other middleware (which one BTW?)
If it support SOAP it might be easier to do the natural->XML conversion using the EntireX-XML-RPC-server. "

I don’t catch completely the interaction of all elements…

1. With my natural version, can i use the hereabove solution?
  2. If I well understand, I can create a webservices on windows side. This latter would be called straight from NAtural program and would pass the XML message to the middle ware? If i’m completely wrong, don’t be desperate and could you please bind me to url where this kind of architecture is illustrated?
  3. Where can i find information about this kind of architecture?

Thanks a lot,
Th

There is one Way but it’s not fast. You could use one of Natural’s Printfile and don’t send it to a Printer but send it through a Serverprocess which kills the leading Column (1 Byte Pagewraps) and then send it to whatever you want from the Unix-Serverside. I’m not on the Administrator’s side here so i can’t tell you more what to do within the Spoolsystem to get this running.

The Only thing i know is that you have to define separate Printernames for this.

Greetings Sascha

BTW. EntireX is one of the Best Solutions to Talk outside of Natural but not the only one :slight_smile:

As the link has to be reliable and fast, it seems I have to stick to Entire X solution…

Thanks to all of you for the help