We are going to use the Business Data Field Searches functionality in a scenario of 100,000 active tasks and we are concerned about the possibility of having to reindex tasks when a change occurs in the task type. Can anyone provide information about the following:
- Time to complete the process of re-indexing to the volume of work that I mentioned earlier? Can someone provide time-indexing process and the volume of work involved?
- Does anyone know if there are some services that allow perform reindexing without launch it from MWS Console?
Thanks in advance
First of all you do not need to re-index for every change in the business data.
Only the following require an re-index:
- indexed field is added or removed
- indexed data type or field have changed
- indexed name changed
If your change is one of the above than re-index is in order. Otherwise not.
Also when re-index is done, the index table is actually dropped , re-created and populated, so there is some downtime involved in this operation.
As for your questions:
- I do not have hard facts about this. It depends on the number of fields you have indexed as well. If I have to estimate I would say that you should expect between 5 and 30 minutes.
- If you are referring to IS services, I doubt that there are. Also for webMethods 8.2, MWS Fix pack 14 there is a SAG defect when using the Re-indexing Portlet. This was fixed in later versions.
Hope this helps,
We have an existing task inbox and there are a few instances of the task already active. We have a new requirement for filtering the tasks in the inbox by certain business data in the Business Console. So now we have enabled the “Index field in Database” which allows us to choose business data fields as custom columns in the task inbox. However we are unable to view the existing tasks in business console when this column is selected. I am not sure if we need to reindex the task. Can you please advise what is the process for reindexing if required?
Please run the re-indexing from the Task Engine Administration UI. Refer attached screenshot.
Thanks Vinay for your suggestion. It worked just fine!
A little bit too late with the response, but yes, you have to reindex the task.
The re-indexing procedure actually copies the data from where it is stored originally to the index database table.
I have written a blog post on this.
You can check it out here: Migrating to Indexed Task Search - webMethods Explorer in case you have other issues with the indexed task search.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the reindexing of task helped resolving the issue.