RecordList to StringList

Does anyone know a way to move a record item in a recordlist to a stringlist? There is a ‘Stringlist to Recordlist’ function but not the other way around? I’ve tried all of the looping interations (with out array, without out array, append to string list etc.) but I can not get it to map.

The scenario is:

(Input)
Recordlist
recordlist
itema (this is the only item is the record)

(output)
Stringlist

I can not get itema to map to anything. Iv’e tried to map it to a temp text field and that doesn’t work either? I’ve also tried ‘get recordlist item’ and ‘record to xml values’.

This seems like it should be very simple. I’m heading down the Java route soon, but I would really like to know how to do this with flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Are you trying to extract a single field from each record and put that into a string list?

LOOP over recordlist (output array=stringlist)
…MAP rec.itema → stringlist

Shouldn’t be any need for using Java on this one.

Yes, a single item from each record (it only has 1 item). I’ve tried this and I get a string list but the values are all null? I was able to get it to work with Java but it really bothers me that I can’t get it to work with flow - it’s should be real simple/basic.

Are you getting null values because you did not provide the index values in the map step. Please check the properties window in the map step.

Post your flow snippet. It’s probably something simple that isn’t quite right.

I applaud your discomfort with using Java for this! :slight_smile:

I got it to work. It was one of those webMethods quirks. Here’s what happened. I was trying to map the record list ‘results’ that comes standard out of the execSQL flow. It appears it doesn’t like it when you try to use this record list name directly. I had to map the results out of execSQL to my own recordlist and then loop over that name. It worked first try!

Thanks for the help!