Path Procedure Question

Can someone please help. I have been trying to figure out how to do the following in a Path Procedure. I have a field called ‘action’ mapped on several screen (about 20) within my application. In my path procedure, I want to do the following:

(a) look the current host screen
(b) determine if the ‘action’ field exists on the screen
(c) if it does, clear out its value.

I can’t seem to figure out how to do this within the Path Procedure.

I don’t want to send information to screen coordinates, but rather look at mapped fields.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Hi Tom,
We assuming that your purpose is to create generic path, but we need you to clarify several things so we will fit you with the best solution:

1.Does the action field is in the same position in all the screens? And if the answer is yes

Hi Tom,
We assuming that your purpose is to create generic path, but we need you to clarify several things so we will fit you with the best solution:

1.Does the action field is in the same position in all the screens? And if the answer is yes

Hi Asaf -

Yes, we are trying to create a generic path. The fields are not always in the same position. In the meantime, we have found an alternative to accomplishing this by creating a Step in our path where we have defined the “Source” screen to actually be several screen (i.e., all the screens that contain the field(s) in question), and the “Target” is “Any screen”.

We map input values to each of the screens (i.e., sending an empty space to the field we want to clear out, and [enter] to the Host Key on each screen. The number of screens we are dealing with is relatively small (~25), so it wasn’t a whole lot of effort to manage this.

I was just thinking there might be a way to refer to a named application field on a screen (regardless of its location) if you know it’s there. We’ve been consistent about re-using field names across screens where that field represents the same thing.

I can send you a GXZ if you’d like to see more (I can point out the step in the path procedure where I coded the above). Creating a GCT will be more difficult … we do not have connectivity to the mainframe at the moment. I believe our alternate approach will work for now.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,
Your solution sounds great.
I will consult with Ohad Mizrahi about it soon so we could know for sure it