Package zip files not working

Hello everyone…

I am creating scripts to put together developed packages for movement between servers. In order to do this, we simply want the packages as zip files (i.e. package export). Within the script I created, I am simply using a zip utility to zip the packages, and that is not doing the job.

Once I copy a package zip to the replicate/inbound directory and activate it, the package appears to the IS as if it were empty.

What is the best way to create a package zip file from the command line without using Deployer artifacts?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel when Deployer out of box does it for you?

What script you created windows or unix based?..Any errors it generate while zipping the files like permissions or access kind of?

Created a windows-based script for our developers to basically ease the deployment handoff between developers and our operations staff.

The idea is that after unit testing, developers use the script to grab the package from subversion, compile it, zip it, and put it out on a build server for the operations staff.

Then the operations staff simply grabs the zip file from the build server, moves it into …/replicate/inbound, and then activates the package. Done deal. We have many many packages and many environments and doing it this way speeds up the process.

The script works, but the zip file is not correct and we have the problem that I described.

I will admit this is a knowledge gap on my part as I have limited experience with Deployer… but from what I know and what I have read, this way allows our ops staff to script deploys to our many environments in a standard way.

I’m willing to take any suggestions! :slight_smile:

You’re likely missing the manifest.v3 file. If you really want to go down this path, export a package using Developer/Designer or IS Admin and compare the resulting zip with what your script is doing. That should help determine why IS doesn’t like the zip you’re producing.

"The idea is that after unit testing, developers use the script to grab the package from subversion, compile it, zip it, and put it out on a build server for the operations staff. "

I would suggest this: after unit testing, developers export the package using Developer/Designer or IS and check that package in to svn. Use the package version numbers to help identify changes. Then use scripts to pull packages from svn to put into the inbound dir of IS for import. You should also be able to have the script activate the package as well, eliminating the manual step (if desired).

You said script works but Is your script grabs all the folders/subfolders and manifest.v3 file in the IS/packages/each directory? I am sure some thing still missing the way zip is working not sure what script you have used though:

Install WM Deployer , refer to configuring Deployer using PDF on SAG site. This is just a 3 hrs job end to end and for a new commer it is 2 day at most. I would say.

Deployer is way better than this way as you can also manage TN components, Admin components, roll backs, reports while deploying and many more.

I just finished today, was quick.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.