Online and batch program

Hi,
How can we differ online and batch program without executing the program. what is STRUCTURED MODE and other modes:?:. Please explain.
I am a beginner in natural please let me know how can i study the natural basics thoroughly:?:.
Thanks,
Breeze.

Education, education, education.

DEMAND a class from your management. You will not become proficient in Natural without formal education.

There are two “modes” in Natural, one of which has two variations.

Structured Mode is distinctive in several ways. All loops have special endings (e.g. END-READ); Certain statements (e.g. MOVE INDEXED) are not valid; all variables are defined in a DEFINE DATA clause.

Report Mode was the original form in Natural. All loops end with LOOP (or CLOSE LOOP); all statements are valid; in the original form, there was no DEFINE DATA clause.

There is also what I call “Mixed Mode”. This is the old Report Mode but with a DEFINE DATA clause. This is sometimes referred to as Structured Data Mode.

Online versus Batch is a function of how a program is run; it is not a function of the program.

steve

Thanks Steve and one more think Structured Mode means program working in Batch and report mode program working in on-line mode. please correct me if i am wrong.

Sorry, Breeze, it is nothing to do with batch or online.
Structured mode is best for writing your main application programs (batch or online) whilst report mode can be used for writing simple ad-hoc programs, and only exists for backwards compatibility.

Without formal Natural education, you soon “pick up” incorrect bits of information, like the silliness about Structured Mode being for Batch and Report Mode being for online.

Then, when you go to write Natural code, you end up writing horrible Natural code.

steve

Hi Steve,
i didn’t get proper training and also we are using less coding only we are using simple statements like DECIDE…ON, DECIDE…FOR, EXAMINE etc. we couldn’t access all the development filed. that why i am asking simple doubt thanks for corporate me am expecting the same for the future.