ODBC to access Tamino?

Hello,

is it possible to get direct access to tamino over ODBC.
I don’t want to use an Access DB over a Schema but with an App over ODBC.

Thanks,
Volker Bachmann
ADA Das SystemHaus

Hi,

Tamino’s main engine, the X-Machine for native XML storage, is only accessable through HTTP-PUT/GET/POST operations (those being conveniently encapsuled by Tamino SDK APIs for Java, JavaScript, Perl and ActiveX/COM). So, there is no such thing as an OLE provider or an ODBC driver that will give you access to XML data stored in Tamino.

A component of Tamino, the SQL engine, can - though - be addressed by means of ODBC, but this engine will store SQL data (think “flat tables”) only.

A third component, Tamino X-Node, is responsible for adding SQL information to XML files by way of mapping. Look at this doc:

Goethe
Johann
W
Faust’s Garden, Frankfurt

Faust I
Faust II

In this scenario, the whole schema is defined to Tamino, but the contents of the books-element are taken from an existing relational dbms, linked to Tamino by way of ODBC.

So, in a nutshell, talk to Tamino over HTTP, Tamino talks for you with rdbms over ODBC.
You can not access XML content by means of ODBC.

Best regards,

Andreas

Thanks for your reply.
Sorry but I don’t understand, what the SQL Engine is.

quote:
A component of Tamino, the SQL engine, can - though - be addressed by means of ODBC, but this engine will store SQL data (think “flat tables”) only.

Are there seperate data that the SQL Engine stores??

Regards,
Volker

Hi,

your confusion is understandable. Give me another try explaining:

The Tamino Database Server comes with two database engines, a native XML one and a basic SQL one. The two data stores are independent and separate from one another.

You work with the XML kernel (the X-Machine) by way of the URL commands (X-Machine commands, see documentation). Against the SQL kernel (the SQL Engine) you issue standard SQL (yep, standard SQL) commands, perhaps using the sqlint utility (placed somewhere in the Tamino installation directory).

Let me state again that there is no implicit link between the two engines. They run side by side and don’t know nothing about one another.

So why do we deliver a sql engine with our native XML server? Well, the use case is as follows:

In almost every application scenario there is heavily structured data (lending itself well to be modelled in XML) and rather flat data (think user / password pairs). The idea is that you run the XML data through the X-Machine and the other (flat) data throuh the SQL engine. You could then easily combine the two access methods (XML model as DOM, SQL model with O/JDBC) in your application. Give the data what the data wants in terms of storage method, might be the motto.

(Since most users are already running a full-fledged SQL server, Tamino SQL engine is switched off with the default licenses).

Some final words on integrating the two worlds:

As I stated, there is no way accessing X-Machine (XML) data through the SQL engine. But the other way 'round is possible via X-Node. At this level you will realize, how deeply disconnected the two engines really are. You need to encapsulate the SQL engine in an ODBC driver to access it via Tamino X-Node. (Re-read sentence and shake head in disbelieve.) That’s why we put the SequeLink software in the package.

Made this things a bit less foggy?

Best regards, Andreas

Thanks very much Andreas.

You make this clear enough for me now. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Volker Bachmann
ADA Das SystemHaus GmbH
Moenchengladbach
Germany