Noob question: Dot net developer wants to try out Software AG webmethods. Need guidance

Noob question: Dot net developer wants to try out Software AG webMethods. Need guidance.

So I am a .net dev who want to try out Software AG webMethods. Areas of interests are B2B integration. Enterprise application integration,API Management

I am familiar with Microsoft Biztalk and WCF/WEB APIs. I wanted to move on to doing some integration and wanted to learn something new.

Questions:

1. How do I go on to learn Software AG.

2. What kinda courses are available online?

3. Can I use a developer edition to play around? Something that I can install on my local PC?

4. How long would it take me to be familiar with Software AG webMethods? 6 months?

Hi there, as a new user of webMethods Designer I can share my experiences so far. I have been learning webMethods Designer for 2 weeks now working on it full day.

1. How do I go on to learn Software AG?
  • I have been working through the webMethods Service Development Help documentation, which is in my opinion a great place to start. After reading through some chapters and learning the basics I start doing exercises like file processing and creating the Fibonacci sequence etc. to solidify my knowledge.
  1. What kinda courses are available online?
  • I haven’t seen a comprehensive course that teaches webMethods Designer from scratch. There are some youtube tutorials out there that are helpful to teach the basics.
  1. Can I use a developer edition to play around? Something that I can install on my local PC?
  • You can access the integration server from any PC as long as you have a connection. So if you are running an Integration Server on your company servers you can access it from home using the Designer(for example via VPN to reach your company servers).
  1. How long would it take me to be familiar with Software AG webMethods? 6 months?
  • I would say if you are working full-time on this doing increasingly difficult exercises it should take around a couple of months in my experience.

Keep in mind I am a newbie too and this is based on very limited experience.

1. Can I use a developer edition to play around? Something that I can install on my local PC?
  • You can access the integration server from any PC as long as you have a connection. So if you are running an Integration Server on your company servers you can access it from home using the Designer(for example via VPN to reach your company servers).

Actually I don’t have access to any integration server as of now. Our current project uses Biztalk. My earlier project did use Software AG but that was in different company. Any way I can get around this?

Hi,

you should opt-in for the free trial version, which contains a small local IntegrationServer as well as the Designer.

“Working with Designer” and “Service Development Help” are good points to start with.
Additionally checking the “IS Built-In-Services Reference” is a good starting point to see, what is already publicly available.

Regards,
Holger

“you should opt-in for the free trial version, which contains a small local IntegrationServer as well as the Designer.”

How long can I use this free trial version?

Hi Pradeep,

as long as the built-in certificate for the IntegrationServer is valid at max.

After that you will need a new version with a newer certificate.
Or you decide to become a SAG webMethods Customer until then and switch to the regular supported version.
Versions with odd numbers after the 10.x (i.e. 10.5) indicate long term support releases (3 year, extendible support), while versions with even numbers (i.e. 10.4) are featured releases with only one year support which cannot be extended regularly.

Regards,
Holger