need to understand more about non-activity timeout

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has more knowledge about this Tamino server properties: non-activity timeout.

In Tamino server doc, it has the following infor:

Dynamic: yes
Allowed values: 20 - 2592000
Default: 900
Description: The maximum timespan (in seconds) that a user is allowed to be inactive before the Tamino server rolls back pending user transactions.
Additional Information: The non-activity timeout is also used as a communications timeout to the Tamino client. For this purpose, the timeout value used is never greater than 600 seconds.

We are seeing repeated errors in 4.2.1.7, “Tamino access failure (8285, INOXHE8285, Invalid Session ID, Session 149 is not active.”

if we change the non-activity timeout, to 72000 seconds, we don’t see above error any more.

We are just wondering if it’s a good pratice to have such a long timeout value. What’s the recommended value for this?

I also have the following naive questions:

1. What is the session?
  2. Is it same as the connection?
  3. And why Tamino invalidate a session?

Thanks!
Helen

Hi Helen,

The number of XML session will be created on CentraSite based on the Tamino property " XML Maximum Sessions". By default the value is set to 500.

XML maximum sessions
This is the maximum number of XML sessions that can be open simultaneously.

It is session only.

non_activity timeout
This is the maximum time span (in seconds) that a user is allowed to be inactive before the CentraSite server rolls back pending user transactions.

seconds

When you start-up the CentraSite Registry & Repository component , CentraSite will create a session and set the elapse time value as 72,000 seconds.
So these sessions will be elapsed only after 12 hrs (72,000 seconds).
once all the sessions got elapsed,CentraSite will recreate new sessions again after certain period of time (5/10/15/20 minutes, unable to predict the value)only.
during that time period ,If any events are published from Mediator to CentraSite and it was throwing the Tamino access failure (8285, INOXHE8285, Invalid Session ID, Session 149 is not active."

Please correct me , If I am wrong.

Thanks & Regards,
Jeevan

1 Like