NaturalONE vs. SPoD

Hi:

Our Natural code base is stored on, and executed from, an HP-UX Itanium server. We are currently maintaining and developing code with Natural Studio (SPoD) running on Windows XP, connecting to Unix with NDV server daemons. Our Natural version is 6.3.3.

We are starting to branch out into providing Natural-based web services. To do this, we use webMethods EntireX (with Natural for Eclipse, v. 3.3 – Europa release). This product allows us to create IDL wrappers and eventually deploy them as web services.

From what I’ve seen, we are not able to directly edit our Natural code using the Natural for Eclipse product, meaning for web services we must develop with one product but deploy the service with another. It’s a bit convoluted.

It looks to me like NaturalONE wraps the functionality of Natural Studio and Natural for Eclipse into one product. We would be able to develop code, test it, and optionally deploy it all in one environment.

Is this correct? Should we be looking at NaturalONE instead of continuing on with newer versions of SPoD, or is there a better way? We are unable to test in our environment with the Community Edition, as it will not allow us to map external environments. Is there a way to get a demo version that will allow us to map to our code base on Unix? If NaturalONE is indeed the correct product for our situation, does anyone have pricing information anywhere? I’ve looked without success for a price per seat for a commercial version of NaturalONE.

Best Regards,
Dean Powell

Dean,

NaturalONE would be the best fit to develop and deploy Natural based web services. You may refer to the tutorial provided under:
[url]404

NaturalONE provides the majority of development functions available with Natural Studio (SPoD). Some pieces are currently not provided, for example developing Natural classes or the Predict XREF client. On the other hand we provide a lot of funcitons not available with Natural Studio, for example Test subprogram, generate services, deploy functions, etc.

A test version of NaturalONE can be requested via the sales organization. You need to sign a test contract. Pricing is available via sales as well. Note there are currently discounts available for customers upgrading from Natural Studio to NaturalONE.

Best regards,
Michael

From what I’ve seen, we are not able to directly edit our Natural code using the Natural for Eclipse product, meaning for web services we must develop with one product but deploy the service with another. It’s a bit convoluted.

“Natural for Eclipse” is a different product (from a different company, Software AG used to (re)sell it years ago),
NaturalONE allows for fully integrated development of everything revolving around Natural, Natural for Ajax,
EntireX etc.