Natural Adabas Error Message Issue after Upgrading .NET Application

Hello Forum Members,

I’ve encountered an issue after upgrading our application from .NET Framework 4.8 to .NET 7.0 in conjunction with EntireX version 9.6, and I’m seeking assistance from the forum’s knowledgeable contributors.

I’ve already conducted research in the EntireX documentation and found that there is compatibility with .NET Framework 4.0 and 4.5, but there is no specific mention of .NET 7.0. However, as this issue pertains to error messages, I believe that compatibility should ideally be maintained, or there may be a missing parameter in the EntireX call that’s preventing the complete error message from being returned.

Previously, when an error occurred in our Natural Adabas program, the EntireX integration would return an exception that included the EntireX error code, the name of the Natural Adabas object, and the line where the error occurred. Unfortunately, following the upgrade to .NET 7.0, the error message format has changed, and it now only includes the exception code followed by a generic text message.

This change in error message format has made it more challenging for us to identify the source of errors and troubleshoot effectively. I’m reaching out to this forum in the hope that someone has encountered a similar issue and can provide guidance on how to configure EntireX or make adjustments to restore the previous error message format.

I would greatly appreciate any insights and solutions from the forum’s contributors. Please let me know if you need any additional information or logs from our end to assist in diagnosing and resolving this issue.

** Error example in .NET 7.0

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards Natural Adabas Error Message Issue after Upgrading .NET Application

what platform (Windows, Visual Studio) are you running your .Net 7.0 from? EntireX 9.6 was retired in 2017 - are you not able to upgrade? EntireX 10.9 supports Windows Server 2016, 2019 and 2022 and VS 2017 or 2019, along with any .Net Framework supporting .Net CLR v4.

Note that you can upgrade your EntireX client applications independently of the version of EntireX your Broker or server applications run on (but keep the features you use to the lowest level the other components support).

have you checked that your .Net application is specifying a Target Framework of 4.0? See Microsoft documentation for steps needed to specify the Target Framework version.

1014 1302 indicates a NATURAL Error 1302 → Division by zero not permitted by parameter ZD=ON

So you need to check on the server side, are you sure the upgrade of the .NET framework is really the only change here ?

We are using the Windows Server 2019 platform, and the application was built using Visual Studio 2022 with .NET 7.0.
When trying to upgrade EntireX using the dll and xml file from version 10.9, another problem started to occur (the same as the one already reported in the link below), and we were unable to overcome this problem.

The exemplified program was created just to demonstrate the error, which is why a Division by Zero was forced within the Natural subprogram.
This same subprogram when called in an application using the .NET Framework 4.5 returns, in addition to the error code 1302, it also returns the name of the Subprogram, and the line where the error is.
However, using the .NET 7.0 version with EntireX 9.6, only the EntireX 1014 error category and the Natual Adabas 1302 error code are returned, not showing the subprogram or error line, which makes it much easier when evaluating the problem.

You may also hit the error
20020040 SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.xml is missing
if the erx.dll cannot be found.
Please check the setting of

<member name="F:SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.ERX.Location">
<summary>
      C:\SoftwareAG\EntireX\bin
</summary>
</member>

in the SoftwareAG.EntireX.NETWrapper.Runtime.xml . It has to point to the directory where the erx.dll is located.
I also recommend to apply the latest fix for the EntireX Miniruntime 10.9 (EntireX MiniRuntime 10.9 Fix 9 ). With this correction also a relative path is supported. See the Readme of the fix for details.

Please open an Support Incident, if you still hit the issue with EntireX 10.9 with an incomplete Error Message.