Microsoft package 6.5

Hi,

I am trying to access Excel from wM Integration Server 6.5 using Microsoft package 6.5. I am not sure of how to go about it.

It would be of great help if you could tell me the steps to be followed

best regards,
nshvr

I am not sure if the Microsoft Package you speak of is the best solution to read an Excel file.

Try searching on this site for “excel” and you will find many threads that discuss how to read an Excel file. Most likely using the FlatFileAdapter.

Does that help?

Easiest way would be change the excel .xls to .csv extension and using FlatFileAdapter in the Developer create FFSchema and then you can parse it with flatfile:convertToValues for further processing…

Also do search in this forum there are some posts discussed on the custom Excel processing via JavaAPI or visit itemfield.com.

HTH,
RMG

Both of the responses assume that the file in question is a csv file and not a proper Excel, .xls file. A .csv file, while readable by Excel, is not an Excel file. Just like a text file, readable by Word, isn’t a Word .doc file.

nshvr, if it’s a .csv file, the advice of cjcable and rmg is the way to go. If it’s an .xls file, there are a couple of alternatives. Let us know which it is.

Thanks for the prompt responses reamon,rmg & cjcable.

My requirement is to read a proper excel (.xls) file using Microsoft package. I have been advised to pursue the Microsoft package option only.

regards,
nshvr

Review the Microsoft package docs. Post any specific questions you may have and I’m sure someone will be able to help.

I would like to know if there are any dlls (remote APIs) available that can be used to access MS Excel.

Sounds like a great question for one of the zillion Microsoft office forums, blogs and company-sponsored websites.

Probably a little late with this response…but there is also the Apache POI java library for reading Excel files (yes, true XLS files, not CSV). There is even a wM wrapper package here on wmusers: [url]wmusers.com

I’ve had great luck with this.