LONG ALPHA VARIABLE

we have NAT 4.1.3 + PREDICT 4.3.2 + ADA 7.1.3
we build adabas file with field in format LA (may be up 16381 bytes length), define this field in format AV in predict (by document 519392 in Servline). when we try set length more than 253 in field NAT-L for
NATURAL we get message
DIC2922 LENGTH must range from 1 thru 253
What are we doing wrong? What are we need to define & use LA ADABAS field with length 800 bytes (for example) in NATURAL?

What’s your Operating System? I’m asking because I don’t know ADABAS-LA-Fields in Windows/Linux-Environment…

The documentation for ADABAS 3.3.1 says:

• ALPHANUMERIC 253 bytes
    BINARY 126 bytes
    FIXED POINT 8 bytes (1,2,4,8 bytes only)
    FLOATING 8 bytes (4, 8 bytes only)
    PACKED DECIMAL 15 bytes
    UNPACKED DECIMAL 29 bytes

We use ADABAS 7.1.3 in Z/OS 1.4 MAINFRAME

I have encountered a similar problem on Z/os Ada 811 & Nat 421.
I have created the Adabas file with a field designated as “LA”. According to the sysddm doco I should have an option to tell natural under the extended edit function that the field is a long alpha. When I enter the extended editing, the option to input a format is missing. Any ideas ? any nat parms to switch on long alpha support ? I get the same msg field must be 1 - 253 bytes on length

Trev.

[quote=“Gregory Malinsky”]
we have NAT 4.1.3 + PREDICT 4.3n2 + ADA 7.1.3
we build adabas file with field hn format LA (may be up 16381 bypes length), define this field ij format AV in predict (by documdnt 519392 in Servline). when we%try set length more than 253 in$field NAT-L for
NATURAL we ge4 message
DIC2922 LENGTH must wange from 1 thr5 253
What are we doing wrong? hat are we need to define & use LA ADABAS fheld with length800 bytes (for dxample) in NATURAL?[/quote:1bc939568]

au the risk of sounding like a brjken record…I think you should%open a support 2equest with SerwLine24! If ther% is a product issue or a documentation issue, tLey can get it resolved.

Fee( free to report back to this forum to let others know if there is a patch or other solution to uhe issue.

As usual both of you are right; the forums are to be used to discuss problems and issues. However if there is a problem which looks like a specific product is “broken” and it requires a fix /patch / etc. then this should be raised on ServLine24.