Local service development

Hi Experts,

I am trying to configure sub-version in my webMethods environment(9.12). I have installed all the plugins, installed and enabled WmVCS and WmSubversion packages in my windows based Integration server. I have succeeded and can able to check-in packages using “create local service development project” using designer.

I have done the same configuration i.e., installing and enabling WmVCS and WmSubversion packages in my Linux webMethods environment (No designer is installed). I have connected to this remote Linux based Integration server using the designer which i have installed in my windows system. Now i am not able to see the option “create local service development project” itself when i try to check-in packages. I didn’t even get “concentric circle icon” on my configured Linux Integration server in designer. Can someone guide me on this.

Thanks & Regards,
Vinodkumar V.

There are 2 different versioning integration concepts. This is also mentioned in the “Service_Development_Help”:
The VCS Integration feature provides functionality similar to that of local service development. However, the VCS Integration feature and local service development are not the same.

WmVCS, WmSubversion belong to the server side integration when developers connect to a remote Integration Server and can not access the package files directly. This is described in “Using the VCS Integration Feature to Check Elements In and Out of a VCS” in the “Service_Development_Help”.
The local service development only works with an Integration Server installed locally on the same machine as Designer. The versioning is done via plugin in Eclipse(Designer) and “create local service development project” in facts creates a eclipse project which includes the IS files of the packages. You do not need WmVCS, WmSubversion for this. This way is the recommended one!
Details to be found in “Using the Local Service Development Feature” in the “Service_Development_Help”.

1 Like

Hi Martin,

Thanks a lot for the reply and clarification. There are 2 points can be highlighted from your reply.

1) VCS Integration

Its a server side integration and we need to have WmVCS and WmSubversion packages installed in our IS. For vesion control using “Local Service Development” we don’t even require these packages.

2) Local service development

As per your comments we need to have Integration server and designer installed on the same machine for version controlling. In our project environment 95% Integration servers are installed in Linux machines and these machines doesn’t even support GUI. We will just connect to these remote Linux Integration servers through the designer which is installed locally in our local windows machine. So in this case we can’t accomplish version control using “Local service development” as the designer & IS are not installed in the same machine. AM I correct ?? Please let me know if i am wrong anywhere.

currently we are using wM 9.12 Version and since VCS is deprecated from wM 9.7 (as per SAG) we planned to go with “Local Service development” option. But from your comments it can’t be accomplished as our environment doesn’t support. Can you please kindly confirm on the same.

Once again thanks for your time for the explanation.

Thanks & Regards,
Vinodkumar V.

That’s correct.

But please keep in mind: Imho both tools are just a convenience which allow you to do versioning out of the Designer/eclipse Gui. Basically the versioning is just done on the files of the packages folders, so you can do everything you need just by using any other versioning client directly against the files system. In fact a lot of developers use versioning clients in addition for specific purposes where the eclipse plugins fall short.
I do not know all versioning systems, but e.g. with subversion all required information are stored in the .svn folders and files, so using an eclipse plugin and any other svn client in parallel works without any problems.
Only thing you might be missing is the code compare and merge tool of the local service development plugin, as this shows flow code while comparing .flow files plain text (means xml) is not really fun and not recommended. But the server side vcs integration did not offer this either.

1 Like

Hi Vinod,

when you are installing Designer with “Local Service Development” feature, the local IS is automatically installed during the procedure.

After developing your services locally, you can “build & upload” your local projects to your remote development IS on Linux.

Additionally, when using Local Service Development you can use any versioning tool Eclipse provides a plugin for.
VCS feature on IS only supports ClearCase, Subversion and SourceSafe (this one only on Windows).

Which type of Linux are you running?
Designer is supported on RedHat and SuSE Linux as well as on Windows.

You will need to connect to your Linux Box by using a X11 client or using X11 forwarding when running GUI components on your Linux box.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the reply. Please find my comments below.

1. when you are installing Designer with “Local Service Development” feature, the local IS is automatically installed during the procedure.

First I have installed IS and designer. Later I have installed “Local Service Development” feature and required designer plugins too. I have succeeded and able to check-in packages using “create local service development project” using designer.

1. After developing your services locally, you can “build & upload” your local projects to your remote development IS on Linux.

Do you mean to say deployer ?? Ideally we never use our local Integration server for any development purpose. Just for doing some POC’s and learning purposes we use it. All the development activities will be carried out in dedicated Linux development Integration server.

1. Additionally, when using Local Service Development you can use any versioning tool Eclipse provides a plugin for.
    VCS feature on IS only supports ClearCase, Subversion and SourceSafe (this one only on Windows).

Yes we are using sub version server(v 1.7.14) plugin for VCS.

1. Designer is supported on RedHat and SuSE Linux as well as on Windows. You will need to connect to your Linux Box by using a X11 client or using X11 forwarding when running GUI components on your Linux box.

I believe that we are using RedHat Linux (not sure). we don’t have the provision to connect to the Linux box using x11 and more over we won’t install designer in the Linux boxes.

So as per Martin comments we can’t implement VCS using “Local Service development” as we don’t have designer & IS on the same box(Designer is in our local windows server & IS is on Linux box).

Please let me know if I am wrong any where or if u require any further information from my end. Once again thanks for your time for looking in to this.

Thanks & Regards,
Vinodkumar V.

Hi Vinod,

Designer with Local Service Development is not neccessary to be on the same box as the dedicated Linux Dev Server.

I am currently preparing my 9.12 environments but had to uninstall my Designer as it got corrupted somehow.

But I am sure that there is a function in Designer to transport the services from the local IS (for local service development) to the Linx Dev server from where it can be deployed to the other target environments.

See Working with Designer Guide, Service Development Help or (if existing) LocalSeviceDevelopment Help for further informations.

X11 forwarding needs to be allowed in the sshd config and after that you can configure putty accept and forward this graphical data to an X11 client on your local pc.

As the VCS feature for Subversion on the remote IS is not working for me (due to configuration), I would prefer to use LSD in Designer for this.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

Thanks for the reply. I have done a small POC today. I have installed “Local Service Development” feature and required designer plugins in my colleague system(windows based). Post which he can able to successfully check-in his packages using “Local Service Development” through his designer installed in his system. But when I connect to his Integration server from my local designer I don’t even see the option “create Local service development project” as conveyed before and vice-versa . (we are using 9.12 in both systems and same plugins too).

Please let me know if you find any function in designer to transport the services from local designer to remote IS.

Thanks & Regards,
Vinodkumar V.

Hi Vinod,

Local Service Development only works with IntegrationServer installed in the same location as the Designer itself.

This is mentioned in documentation.

I will check as soon as I have my Designer reinstalled.
Currently I am working on completing the installation and configuration of my remote dev and test environments.

Regards,
Holger

Let me recall how local service development works:
With local service development the packages under version control reside inside the eclipse workspace having a symbolic link in the IS package directory.
If you change an existing package to local service develpment, it is moved into the workspace and a link is created.
If you check out a package it is placed into the eclipse workspace and “Load IS package” creates the link in IS package directory and makes the package known to IS.

While it is technically possible not to have this on a local disc (Designer only needs to see this via standard filesystem access, so a network share will work as well), it will cause problem sharing the IS between different developers. Uploading packages from Designer to an IS only accessible via the standard port wont work. Designer needs to “see” the IS filesystem.

Hi Experts ,

Could you please let me know how to install the Local service development plugin in the softwareAG designer 9.8

Thanks & regards
Pradeen

Hello Pradeen,

Service Development plugin designer plugin need to be installed same way as other Designer plugins ie., by using Software AG Installer. For your reference, I’ve attached screenshot of a SoftwareAG installer where ‘service development’ node is selected for installation.

I didn’t quite understand why you used term ‘Local’ before service development plugin. If you are facing issues in installing, probably you can mention details here to get better help from community.

Chandra

Thanks , Chandra,

I am able to resolve the issue ,after the re-install the product). I am planning to do a version control in the IS package,Instead exporting package and put in the stage folder(inbound) folder . By using ASE (ant) I am try to build the package I am getting error i.e the Mainfest.v3 is missing . Do you have any document reference/article regarding the deploy the package .

I didn’t get you exactly what is your question…

What is ASE? Do you mean ABE (Asset Build Environment)?

For error, you could give more logs/assets to guide you better.

The product document, talking about these aspects of building a repository (with IS packages, or any other assets) and deploying it to run times is : https://techcommunity.softwareag.com/ecosystem/documentation/webmethods/deployer/wdy10-3/10-3_Deployer_webhelp/index.html#page/deployer-webhelp%2Fco-overview.html%23wwconnect_header

Chandra

Hi got a below error message .
Error occurred installing TestGatewayService.zip package.
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\SoftwareAG\IntegrationServer\instances\default\packages\TestGatewayService\manifest.v3

Hi Chandra,
Could you please check the issue …

Thanks
Pradeen

AFAIK, such file (manifest.v3) should exist in all IS packages. Not sure why it is missing in your case… Check if Reloading package creates that file. If not, can you try creating a new package and move your assets from your existing package to that?

Chandra

1 Like

Hi,

looks like the exported package archive is missing the manifest.v3, which is required to identify the properties of the package like Startup/Shutdown-Services, dependencies to other packages and so on.

Check how you created this exported package.

@Chandra:
According to your screen shot the feature of interest is named “Local Version Control Integration”, this name varies dependent on wM version.

Regards,
Holger

Thanks Holger, I didn’t knew that component is commonly being called as ‘Local service development’ :slight_smile:

HI All,
I am trying to build the Continuous Deployment in Web Methods using Jenkins and used below stack.

1. Groovy Script
  2. Jenkins for CD
  3. Web Methods as service
  4. Git Hub -Repository

And i got Deployment failure issue .,. please let me know the issue and how to resolve the issue .

Please attached document

Deployment issue.docx (475 KB)