JavaioIOException Broken pipe

Hi, everyone.

I am posting large documents to a partner using HTTP. Occasionally, an error is thrown by the pub.client:http service:

java.io.IOException: Broken pipe

Google has told me that this may be because I am sending large documents and my partner may not be properly reading the InputStream in my POST.

I am assuming Google is right because many, many webMethods developers the world over post documents larger than mine.

Has anybody faced this issue before? Could it be on my side of the transaction? I want to be sure before I recommend that my partner takes additional action.

Thanks.

Dan I have seen this error ins everal cases other than HTTP. With MQ Series, JMS, Database connections. In all of my cases the problem was on the receiving server side. But based on receioving system resolution was radically differen. Anything from restarting DB server to MQ transport channel sizes increase would resolve this for me. I would guess HTTP is same way. But I could be wrong.

We have also seen these errors being thrown by webMethods IS 4.6 whenever HTTP post on the partner fails. The failure may be due to many reasons including large doc size.
I was unable to resolve this issue yet, as in our case; we generally do retries on failures. and eventually, the HTTP post succeeds.

Dan, try a simple test to post to a non-existent URL or when target-server is down, and you should see these exceptions being thrown in the logs.

I will be quite interested to know what will fix this for HTTP Post !!

• Saurabh

Hi Dan,
We have seen that when Target server is down. As Saurabh said, subsequent retries will fix the issue.

You guys were right.

My business process calls for concurrent HTTP posting to a partner. The broken pipe errors surfaced only after moving from NT development environment and into Solaris for testing. I have since staggered the HTTP posts and asded some REPEAT on FAILURE capabilities to minimize the instances of this exception.

So far, it seems to be holding. I will let you know if this work-around falls apart.

Hi,

I am getting following error

Jul 25 15:50:45 aviciiactc Adapter40: Adapter40: [System] (96) Adapter “ProductSyncJdeNotifier”: could not start java.io.IOException: Too many open files
Jul 25 15:57:59 aviciiactc Adapter40: Adapter40: [System] (96) Adapter “ProductSyncJdeNotifier”: could not start java.io.IOException: Too many open files
Jul 25 17:19:31 aviciiactc Adapter40: Adapter40: [System] (96) Adapter “ProductSyncJdeNotifier”: could not start java.io.IOException: Too many open files

Please let me know why this error occur