Integration Server: Package for handling Excel spreadsheets

Dear all,

For those who don’t follow me on LinkedIn, I wanted to let you know that I am currently working on an IS package that will allow you automate processing of Excel spreadsheets.

If you have a requirement that should be taken into account, please let me know.

Thanks,
Christoph

PS: Below you can find a first draft of the README that should give a rough idea.

JT_Excel

This package allows webMethods Integration Server to create, read, update,
and write Excel spreadsheets.

Functionality

Built on top of Apache POI the JT_Excel package allows you to work with workbooks and sheets in .xls and .xlsx format. You can open or create workbooks and sheets. And within those sheets it is possible to read, update, insert, and delete data.

Typical use-cases are to create spreadsheets with data coming from backend systems like ERP or CRM. Another popular scenario is to employ a spreadsheet for bulk-entry of data. Together with validations that makes for a very efficient interface for power users. Or you could use the spreadsheets to exchange data with customers. Individual pricelists come to mind here.

Limitations

In terms of data formats no formats other than the spreadsheet files in .xls and .xlsx format (no CSV etc.) and the normal data structures of Integration Server (IData) are in the game.

So if you want to convert an Excel spreadsheet to JSON or XML, you will need to write a Flow service that parses the data from the spreadsheet, taking into account in which column and row values are located.

Once that is done, you will typically have a document list with one document per spreadsheet row. The spreadsheet columns will be mapped to the fields within that document. From there you then work just as if the data had come from a database operation, an EDI document, or any other data source or service.

As to what formats and content details are supported on the Excel side, this is determined entirely by what Apache POI covers.

Installation

You can install JT_Excel in two ways.

• There will be releases that come as a ZIP file and must be installed in the traditional way. That means copying it into $IS_HOME/replicate/inbound and then invoking Package Management / Install Inbound Release.
  • For people who want to be on the bleeding edge, you can always just clone or download the Git repository into your workspace and then work with it like a developer. For any environment other than DEVELOPMENT this is not recommended, though.

Samples

There is also a test package (JT_ExcelTest) that additionally serves as a sample package. Please browse its services to get see how things are done.

Built-in services

The service that come with JT_Excel can roughly be grouped like this:

• jt.excel.pub.workbook : Workbook-related operations (read, write, create)
  • jt.excel.pub.sheet : Sheet-related operations (get, update, insert data etc.)
  • jt.excel.pub.cell : Single cell-related operations

For the time being there is no detailed documentation for the individual services. For inquiries about those please get in touch with JahnTech.

4 Likes