Integrating webMethods with Proprietary Systems

Hello Community Members

As part of webMethods learning & RND, I would like to find out answers to following queries:

1. What are high level steps to integrate webMethods with SAP? Any specific adapters required?
  2. What are high level steps to integrate webMethods with SalesForce? Any specific adapters required?
  3. What are high level steps to integrate webMethods with Oracle ERP? Any specific adapters required?

I would appreciate if experts in tech community can please comment on above mentioned queries or share relevant knowledge or experience etc

Thanks

Hi @Mubarik ,
The adapter documentation is at Software AG Product Documentation which includes details about available adapters.

-NP

Hello Nagendra

Thanks for sharing the link. Initial/quick analysis of the link (you shared) reveals that required adapter(s) need to be downloaded from empower portal. I currently don’t have access to empower portal.

I am currently using webMethods free trial version 10.11 and I don’t see SAP/salesforce adapter in admin UI under Adapters section. Do you know if SAP or Salesforce adapter is available in webMethods 10.11 trial version?

I am asking it because I am not sure if there is some setup/configuration issue that is prohibiting SAP/salesforce adapter appear in my IS Admin UI? or may be these adapters don’t get shipped with free trial version that’s why I am unable to see them?

Thanks

~WRD0000.jpg

Hi Mubarik,

in the free trial version there a quite few adapters available.
There is a list on the free trial request page which adapters these are.
Even when SAP adapter is included it requires specific libs which need to be obtained from SAP Marketplace as these are not included in the SAG SAP Adapter package by default.

Regards,
Holger

Free trial is limited to the products and components you see on the installation panel, while you’re using the installer executable.

@Holger_von_Thomsen has given you a better response above.

KM

Thanks Holger & Kasi for your responses

Going through your responses, my understanding is that In case of free trial version, only those adapters will be available (as part of free trial) which I currently see in webMethods IS admin page under “Adapters” section

For example my admin UI shows only 3 adapters in admin UI page (as shown in below screenshot) and hence it means that I can work with only these 3 types of adapters using free trial webMethods?

Please let me know if I understood your responses correctly or am I still missing the point here?
Thanks

Hi Mubarik,

here is the complete list of products included in webMethods Integration free trial:

Which components of webMethods does this free trial version contain?

This free trial contains 11 key products:

Integration Server
    Universal Messaging
    SAP Adapter
    JDBC Adapter
    CloudStreams
    Trading Networks
    ActiveTransfer
    ActiveTransfer Agents
    Mashzone NextGen
    EDI/EDIINT modules
    Terracotta

According to the list SAP Adapter ins included, but it will not show up in the AdminUI for Adapters section until you add the required libs to it. Until you do so you should notice an error message in the server.log that the adapter cannot initialize properly due to missing libs. When you check the Management section for Packages the package WmSAP will only be loaded partially.

For SalesForce you will need to download the CloudStreams Salesforce connector from the tech community.
SalesForce should then be shown under webMethods Cloud after you have applied the package to your IS.

Regarding WmDB vs. wM Adapter for JDBC you can search the knowledge base.
If I remember right there was quite a good article in the old community and I am not sure if this one was recovered to the new community.
I personally prefer wM Adapter for JDBC over WmDB.

Regards,
Holger

These days, adapters are almost never required but can be helpful.

Most applications expose APIs that you can use directly without using an adapter. SalesForce, for example, has multiple APIs (SOAP, so-called REST, etc.) to interact with it. The Salesforce adapter and the CloudStreams connector (2 different ways of doing the same thing) can be quite helpful just be aware they also come with commitments/constraints. (We use the Salesforce adapter and direct API interaction with SFDC, we do not use CloudStreams.).

I think the official line on WmDB is unless you’re already using it, don’t. Use the JDBC adapter.

1 Like

Addendum:

WmDB and JDBC Adapter are using different techniques to connect to the databases:
JDBC Adapter uses DataSource class and WmDB uses driver class.

Whenever the driver jar for a particular database vendor provides a DataSource class use it together with JDBC Adapter.
When there is only a Driver class available, but now DataSource class, you will have to fallback to WmDB package.

But most modern databases I know of provide a DataSource class meanwhile in their driver jars.

Regards,
Holger

Hi @reamon ,

Can you please elaborate on your comment on the commitments and constraints of the Salesforce Adapter and CloudStreams? as I would like to understand more in detail to understand from your experience of using the products as this would help us improve the product.

regards,
Suresh. G
webMethods Product Management

Thanks folks for your feedback/response on this post. I appreciate. Some really good knowledge was shared above.

Thanks @Holger_von_Thomsen for sharing your thoughts on SAP & Salesforce adapter.

1. Can you please let me know Tech Community link that I can use to download cloudstream connector?

2. Also if possible, can you please mention name of SAP lib or jars that we need to download and add to SAP Adapter (that comes with free trial) to initialize it propertly?

Hi Mubarik,

you might want to check out this article:

Regarding SAP-Adapter:
You need a S-User registered with SAP Marketplace to download the JCO and JCO IDoc libs.
You can ask the admins of the SAP system you want to connect to if they can request one for you.
The exact files of the jars are mentioned in the Adapter System Requirements guide.

Regards,
Holger

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.