Installing 41 on XP

I’m trying to install ES 4.1 (well, AW41) on XP. Couple of problems:

1. The installer wasn’t able to create the service in the service control manager. I have no clue as to why. I was able to manually add the service using sc.

2. awbroker.exe is terminating or crashing, can’t tell which. When started via the service, SCM reports a service-specific error code of 2. When awbroker.exe is run directly, a window pops ever so quickly and then the process dies.

Another pertinent detail is that I’m installing over an existing installation. 4.1 over 4.1. The original 4.1 is running on NT4. The machine is setup with multi-boot so I’m trying to get aw to run in when XP is up. I’ve toyed with removing all aw from the machine and reinstalling but I suspect that won’t change anything.

My best guess is that aw sees a version of windows that it doesn’t like and refuses to run. Even under compatibility mode with NT4 SP5 or W2K doesn’t work though.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might chase down, other than upgrade aw to a version that isn’t so ancient?

I’m trying to install ES 4.1 (well, AW41) on XP. Couple of problems:

1. The installer wasn’t able to create the service in the service control manager. I have no clue as to why. I was able to manually add the service using sc.

A: That’s because XP isn’t a supported platform for 4.1.x… The installer is a bit ‘Jurassic Park’, so it could have some problems with the changements in the current controlset of NT 5 and up…

1. awbroker.exe is terminating or crashing, can’t tell which. When started via the service, SCM reports a service-specific error code of 2. When awbroker.exe is run directly, a window pops ever so quickly and then the process dies.

A: Is your Broker Monitor running ? I think if you already have a ‘service’ problem, you might be in trouble here… Maybe you should get the latest patch from advantage (http://advantage.webmethods.com) for the core… awbroker.exe has been replaced a lot . Again if it’s XP… supportland will not be so easily to reach…

Another pertinent detail is that I’m installing over an existing installation. 4.1 over 4.1. The original 4.1 is running on NT4. The machine is setup with multi-boot so I’m trying to get aw to run in when XP is up. I’ve toyed with removing all aw from the machine and reinstalling but I suspect that won’t change anything.

A: Multi-boot or not… I think there are some config mistakes here.

My best guess is that aw sees a version of windows that it doesn’t like and refuses to run. Even under compatibility mode with NT4 SP5 or W2K doesn’t work though.

A: Nope, that isn’t the thing. I would see this as an configuration error.

Anyone have any ideas on what I might chase down, other than upgrade aw to a version that isn’t so ancient?

A: Contact sales at webMethods and ask which version supports XP (i don’t know for EAI on 4.6) and see what the costs would be for migration.

"A: That’s because XP isn’t a supported platform for 4.1.x… The installer is a bit ‘Jurassic Park’, so it could have some problems with the changements in the current controlset of NT 5 and up… "

Undoubtedly. Here’s the curious thing though: the Broker Monitor and Adapter Monitor services were installed successfully and seem to run just fine. ETE, Adapter Configuration, Visual Integrator and Event Tracker all run as well.

"A: Is your Broker Monitor running ? I think if you already have a ‘service’ problem, you might be in trouble here… Maybe you should get the latest patch from advantage (http://advantage.webmethods.com) for the core… awbroker.exe has been replaced a lot . Again if it’s XP… supportland will not be so easily to reach… "

Yes, the Broker Monitor and Adapter Monitor are both running as services. At least it seems so. Broker Monitor makes a Event log entry that it gives up trying to start the Broker after 3 tries. Uundoubtedly the issue is in trying to run a very old exe within XP.

"A: Multi-boot or not… I think there are some config mistakes here. "

It’s possible that there is a config mistake. What might it be? I’ve installed ES dozens of times in many different environments. What am I overlooking? I’ve never had awbroker.exe simply refuse to run with no indication of what the error is–there are no log entries, no Event log entries, nothing.

"A: Nope, that isn’t the thing. I would see this as an configuration error. "

You seem quite sure about this, which seems promising. Have you gotten 4.1 to run on XP?

“A: Contact sales at webMethods and ask which version supports XP (i don’t know for EAI on 4.6) and see what the costs would be for migration.”

That was my final constraint in my post–“…other than upgrade aw to a version that isn’t so ancient.” Upgrading isn’t an option in this case. If I can’t get it to work, it’s not a huge problem. But I would like to understand precisely why it won’t work if indeed it absolutely cannot. I’m exploring the likelihood that my manual install of the service is missing something (parameters?). I’m also going to be double-checking access rights/availability of dlls.

Any other ideas are more than welcome.

I have installed webMethods 4.1 tools on a Windows XP Professional laptop. The installation goes well, but after none of the tools will come up. I have a Windows XP Professional desktop which has webMethods 4.1 tools and everything works fine. It seems that the webMethods 4.1 tools will run on an XP desktop vs. and XP laptop. Please help.