Implications of multiple External IDs for EDIINT

What are the implications of setting up two separate External IDs for our Enterprise Profile in regards to EDIINT?

We plan to use EDIINT AS2 transportation mechanisms for multiple customers. Our current customer uses an External ID type of ABAAS2 for out profile. Another customer wants to use another identifier of 13 digits as our AS2 profile. We can successfully setup the two separate external ID’s, but we are concerned that both identifiers will continue to work. There is a further possibility of adding other identifiers to meet customer requirements.

We are currently on TN 6.1

Paul,

We can have any number of ExternalID’s in a profile and these will be recognized depends on the partner document data.so upon receiving the document from customers(A or B) based on the id’s existed in the enterprise profile is recognized the documenttype and processing rule will be triggered.so there will be no implications.

HTH,
RMG

Hi Ram,

One implication I have run into with multiple exernal id types is in extracting (for example) a receiver id from an internal document submitted to TN for recognition.

On the Extract tab for the document type, you can key in an xml query string to grab the id, but you select the external id type (the “transformation”) from a dropdown list.

I have never understood why a TN doctype grabs the external id type for the sender/receiver attributes this way. I’d much prefer to be able to enter an xml query string to extract the external id type just like the id itself. In this way, the same TN doctype would serve for all possible external id types.

Since I don’t want to multiply my internal TN doctypes by the number of external ids I support, the implication of this for me has been using the required id type (usually DUNS) for all “internal” receiver id purposes, and then using some other process to set the “external” ids (usually when I am building X12 envelopes) before sending to a trading partner.

Do you use a different mechanism for getting the external id type in your TN document type definitions so that TN can recognize the receiver when the document is submitted with multiple external id types?

Regards

Mark,

I was talking about the EDI documents and also the question posted regards with EDIINT and these document types we cannot edit right.

yeh for XML document types we have facility for only one selection of externalid(from the list) per document type.

I hope we are on same page.

Yes Ram,

I was just wondering if you ever saw another way of handling it.

Would you agree that it would make more sense to allow query strings to extract the external id type as well as the id?

Cheers!

“I have never understood why a TN doctype grabs the external id type for the sender/receiver attributes this way. I’d much prefer to be able to enter an xml query string to extract the external id type just like the id itself. In this way, the same TN doctype would serve for all possible external id types.”

I also agree with you regarding above comments and WM should facilitate this feature which is helpful.

As always, thanks for sharing your experience.

No probs.Lets put on the Advantage wish list.