The documentation is rather scarce on this topic, but you can find information in 8-2-SP1_CAF_Development_Help.pdf (Chapter 10 - MWS Runtime Assets)
As for the steps for creating a shell:
- Login to MWS using the sysadmin user.
- Go to Administration > Administration Dashboard > User Interface > Shell Administration
- Click on “Create New Shell”
- Set Name, Description and Parent Shell.
- Hit “Create” button
After the Shell is created you can edit it, update the shell header or footer and in general you can play around with the shell.
Now regarding the deployment of the Shells (and other assets) I have found till now 3 ways to do it.
- No deployment
This means that you create the shell in every environment your application will be deployed.
This is the least desired solution as it double/triples… the work you have to do depending on the number of environments you have
- Add it to the deployment package
In the Deployer on your build environment add this asset to the deployment package - Please let me know if you have questions on this.
- Reference it in the xmlImport file.
- create your shell locally
- download it from the MWS portal
- extract the xmlImport file from the package you downloaded
- save it in your project
- import it in the xmlImport file you have in your project
- deploy the application
This is my preferred approach as this way the shell ends up also in the SCM system (CVS, SVN, Git, etc…).
Please let me know if this helps as the shell question was on a different topic then the initial question from this thread.