How to identified unused services from webMethods Designer and get rid of them

Hi All,

Ours is a very old system where packages have been built long ago mostly, almost a decade ago.

All I want to identify the usage of services in custom packages and get rid of those packages, folders, flows or documents which are no longer in use for, let say, couple of years.

Further, we can use the information of usage of services to fine-tune the services (if we have any way to identify) which are being used very frequently and can be improved in terms of overall performance.

Regards,
Sanket

Hi Sanket,

in Designer you can right click on any node (service, doc type etc.) and select “Find Dependents” (who is using me) and/or “Find References” (who am I using) to check the dependencies between them.

You can also use Deployer to check dependencies between packages and other assets which are not directly shown in Designer like ACLs etc.
Deployer will also show orphans which are still referenced but do not exist in your IS namespace.

Regards,
Holger

Thank you Holger!

But I guess, I have failed to communicate here, what I want is to get the usage of the services created over a decade in designer and remove the packages/folders/services/documents which are not in use to reduce the over all load on system. Do we have any tool where we can get the unique usage of services over a period of time?

In process of that I would like to replace the deprecated in-built services by the new substitute of the in-built service as well. Do we have any utility to do so or we need to search for all the deprecated services manually?

Regards,

Sanket

Hi Sanket,

What I have found useful is (in some cases) the ISCCR (Integration Server Continuous Code Review) tool.

IT has a check call “Orphan access” or something like this. It tells you if a service is never used.

I would say you use it with a grain of salt. I have discovered that in some cases (the service is a format service, or called from a trigger, etc…) it incorrectly marks it as orphan.

I think that the safest way to go is to implement something custom to check the dependencies.

Or you can use the WmDeployer to check for dependencies (works with runtime based deployments)

1 Like

Hi Sanket,

deprecated Services (and there replacements, if any) are documented in the various Built-In-Services References.

When planning a migration you can request support from Global Consulting Services at Software AG, they have a special checking tool which will do these checks (amongst others) to prepare a migration.

In addition to Vlads reply, correlation services might be a candidate as well to be marked as orphaned even they are still in use by the model.

Regards,
Holger