How to convert a nonXML file into an XML format that can be sent to wmtnreceive

Thanks for making me understand a little better. This thread has been quite informative in trying to understand whole webMethods Architecture.

But in regards to the approach defined above, I feel its an extra effort.

See if we do all logging/DB etc in TN, then we need to pass extra information between B2B and TN. say for example, partner formats –> canonical format fails, then we need to pass failure information back to TN, instead of logging it in B2B itself.

Also, i think TN console has some nice features, but not a good web interface for customer support people to look into orders and do order management. (ex if order fails, what’s reason it is, need to inform customer or not, or correct/resubmit etc etc) I think to do these features, one need to login them into TN console, which opens another box full of questions (how to restrict them to some few basic tasks such that they dont break havoc on system)

Hence, if the above mentioned features are to be developed in B2B, i dont understand the need to pass formats around TN for DB/logging purposes. anyway, one has to develop logging utility in webMethods to log all transformations between partner,canonical and backend format.

Once again, I am new to TN. Hence these basic questions.

Thanks.

Keep in mind that TN isn’t a entity separate from B2B, even though the wM positioning of TN would lead you to believe that it is. TN is just a collection of B2B services. TN is part of B2B and runs fully within the B2B Server (nee, Integration Server) environment.

In addition to the routing of documents to specific services based on doc type, sender, receiver, etc., TN has a pretty good set of logging services. During processing of a bizdoc, you can log any message you wish into the TN db using simple service calls. During the processing of a partner doc, you can associate it with the resulting canonical doc and later with the backend doc. Then with TN Console, you can track what happened to a given doc through all it’s transformations–at restart it at any point if necessary.

Of course you can log things to B2B server logs but logging things to the TN db is a bit more robust and useful (though wading through the often huge server log is sometimes loads o’ fun.)

Thus, there really is no need to develop your own logging utility. TN has what you need (though it has some warts).

I agree that it would be nice to have a restricted TN Console that allowed only certain operations for different roles.

Thanks a lot, Rob. (and everyone else on wonderful insights into webMethod Products)

I now have a much better understanding, in particular of relationship between TN and B2B IS, and how both should be structured.

On a different note.
(theoritically) one can also build a web interface around TN database. Since TN console is little restricted in its utility in terms of order management, one can ideally build web interface wrapped around the database. [obviously, this interface will be read only - as one doesnt want to mess with TN update db calls]

Warm Regards.

I’ve been following this thread with great interest to see exactly where it would go. Rob raised some good points regarding the use of TN and I agree with him in principle with respect to the document routing capabilities of TN.

I want to clarify the building of a canonical for the mapping of the Flat files to xml. The canonical must contain a superset of all data objects. This will permit mapping from each flat file to a common xml (or IData Record) structure. However, in B2B land, we don’t refer to our data structure as canonicals, so the term will be unclear unless you are an Enterprise god like Rob. If the structure of the “canonical” is correct, future data value additions will not be a problem.

From my perspective, I am used to NOT having TN. I’ve either connected to TN or a queue in most of the deployments. From my perspective, TN is a luxury due to the DB support needed (and my lack of desire to administer.)

Some of the suggestions of wrapping the flat file contents into xml tags and submitting the file is great, but probably won’t happen in a mainframe environment.

One thing that worked well for me in the past was intelligent file naming conventions. For example, you could name the file as such:

FileType_custNum_dateTimeStamp_formatType_To_FormatType

Order_1001_2002-07-11T200246_FlatFile_ebXML

The client machine that is posting this can send the contents and then the local file name as parameters. You can parse this out.
The majority of my mainframe or backend experience used FTP to move the files back and forth. I have one instance of a shared drive on a Unisys system (more trouble than it’s worth.)

Keep in mind that one of the main reasons that companies use B2B is the quick deployment capability. Overarchitecture of the system can lead to circular debugging. You’ll be chasing yourself in circles trying to find your tail when something goes wrong.

I suggest planning the ultimate system, but then implementing in segments that will be easy to handle, yet still deliver to the business folks who requested. So, you can implement a B2B/TN service with bare/minimal and then ramp into a full-fledged reporting/routing system later.

I also heard through the WM folks that the TN console in the new version will be more restrictive and customizable.

Ray wrote:

“…wrapping the flat file contents into xml tags and submitting the file is great, but probably won’t happen in a mainframe environment.”

This is one area where the marriage of wM Enterprise with IS turns out to be a Good Thing. Using the adapters of wME or using the Mainframe Integration Server, you can easily do minimal data massaging to get things into a form acceptable to TN. Then using the B-E Package, you can submit the doc to TN.

Saurabh - you raised a good point about giving customer service people access to carry out order management in TN via a web interface.

There is a product called WmTNWeb that does this exact thing. However, it is a bit insecure because people who use it must be in the ‘TNAdministrators’ group. This is insecure because they can easily install TN console on their local machine, login, and change processing rules, etc if they wanted to. We have requested the TN team to work on this.

If you are willing to accept the security-by-obscurity approach … ie. assuming that since the customer service people don’t have access to TN console install binary, it is secure - then your problem is basically solved. Beware though, a few weeks ago I’ve heard some talk about WM making its products available for a trailware download – don’t remember where.

hi porfessionals,
i am new to webMethods. Can any one explain me the role of templates in webMethods briefly like explain what is Template? and how to create a Template in webMethods?
i am in urgent need. i am expecting your early reply.

with regards

hi professionals,
i am new to webMethods. Can any one explain me the role of templates in webMethods briefly like explain what is Template? and how to create a Template in webMethods?
i am in urgent need. i am expecting your early reply.

with regards

Check the DSP and Ouput Templates developer guide. You can access it from WM developer Help -> User Documentation.

The output templates are ok but I think you need to concentrate on four possible scenarios from worst to best:

1. Write your own java service to parse the file.
  2. Write flow service to parse the file (not very optimal).
  3. Use the WmEDI parser to create templates and parse and convert the file to an IData object that can then map to an XML file.
  4. Use the WmFlatFile package. This is not the easiest to understand upfront, but it seems to work well for simple files.

I go between writing my own flow services and using the WmFlatFile package depending on what my client requires. I do not utilize the WmEDI unless the client uses the package already due to the overhead.

HTH

Ray

hi lok,
As you are new to webMethods and software industry, it is better you adhere to fundas like Intro to Integration, EdiModuleConceptsGuide, EdiModuleUserGuide,…,then only you can’t be panning!!!.Try to build up java and webMethods.If you start from both the ends you will meet in the middle.Dont mind in -ve way ,please mind this in a positive way.
Thanks
Jack

Hi to everybody,

I am srinivas learning webMethods developer6.x. I want to be good in fundamentals .Could anybody can send me  documentation on the technical examples with steps using BRACNH,LOOP,MAP and SEQUENCE..Kindly respond to my request...   

Advanced Thanks,

Best regards
srinivas,
ssirapu@miraclesoft.com

Srinivas,

Go thru this documentation (ISDeveloperGuide.pdf) it will explain everything that you are looking for.This doc will be located inside the
(C:\webMethods6\Developer\doc)folder.

Regarding practical idea using of those above steps look into the WmSamples package this comes with the webMethods Standard Installation.

Goodluck…