Hello webMethods Community

My name is Andrew, and I’m part of the webMethods Product Management team. I’m excited to share some important news with you about the future of our community.

As you may know, webMethods has recently joined the IBM family, and with this new chapter, we are also moving our vibrant community to a new home. Starting now, all discussions, resources, and updates will be hosted on the IBM TechXchange Community platform.

The new IBM TechXchange site will offer everything you’ve come to rely on from our current community, along with enhanced features, a broader network of experts, and deeper integration with IBM’s vast ecosystem of technology solutions. Whether you’re a seasoned developer, a tech enthusiast, or just beginning your journey with webMethods, the new platform is designed to help you thrive.

Here’s what you can look forward to:

• A Fresh Look and Enhanced Usability: The new platform is modern, user-friendly, and designed with your needs in mind.

• Broader Networking Opportunities: Connect with IBM’s expansive community of tech professionals, developers, and experts.

• Rich Technical Resources: Access a wealth of blogs, discussions, and resources tailored to webMethods and beyond.

To ensure a smooth transition, we encourage you to register on the new IBM TechXchange Community site as soon as possible. It’s the new hub for all things webMethods, and we don’t want you to miss out on any of the exciting developments coming your way.

Join the IBM TechXchange Community here!

Thank you for being a valued member of our community. We look forward to seeing you on TechXchange and continuing our journey together!

Best regards,

Andrew

webMethods Product Management Team

Thanks for the info to the new location.

Will any of the existing material be migrated? It was interesting when SAG acquired wMUsers in the long ago and kept most of the material. Stuff from 2010 probably not compelling but from 2020 or so, perhaps.

1 Like

Hi @amccracken Andrew - just a note I cannot join the IBM TechXchange Community platform. My roadblock is this clause in the user agreement:

• Do not use any IBM Content provided on the Site to develop software or services that provide the same or similar functionality.

(Here, “IBM Content” refers to information about IBM products, software, programs, services or associated technologies)

Being subject to this clause is a problem as a developer. Let’s say I learn about a paid webMethods integration product (say, an ‘OpenAI adapter’). But my company decides not to purchase this adapter. Instead, I am required to build integration functionaIity similar to the adapter but accessing the OpenAI API directly. Can you see my problem here? I’d rather not make personal judgements about fair use and user agreements. Unfortunately this means I miss out on a valuable resource.

I missed that clause – thanks for highlighting it.

I too must abstain from joining. It would seem the 10+ year journey that started with wMUsers has come to a close. I will miss the excellent exchanges and knowledge gained from the many willing to share their experiences and views.

2 Likes

I started with the Advantage community from webMethods itself and joined the wMUsers community later on.

Unfortunately, most of the Advantage content got lost after Software AG acquired webMethods.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Sonam,

Thank you for sharing your concerns. It has generated a thoughtful conversation amongst the webMethods product management team. I understand how this clause might raise some questions about how it could affect your work, especially around leveraging information from the community.

While I can’t speak for specific legal interpretations, the intention behind this clause is to protect intellectual property and avoid direct replication of IBM solutions. However, the community itself is a space for collaborative learning and discussions that don’t necessarily require you to purchase or replicate IBM tools. You can still benefit from conversations with experts, participate in open dialogue about broader integration challenges, and leverage the collective knowledge of the community for non-commercial purposes.

That said, I completely understand your hesitancy, and I’d recommend consulting with your legal team for any clarifications specific to your situation. Please feel free to reach out if you have further questions or if there’s any way I can assist in navigating this.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing you in the IBM TechXchange Community!

Best regards,

Andrew McCracken
Product Manager, webMethods Integration
IBM

@amccracken Thank for taking this forward Andrew! I love this triggered a conversation - it shows good faith on IBM’s part. I appreciate IBM is a ‘big ship’ and changes take time.

These clauses provide a contrast:

“[IBM or others], may use User Content, in whole or in part, for any purpose, may create derivative works thereof and may sublicense others to do the same. IBM shall have no obligation to compensate you…”

“Do not use any IBM Content provided on the Site to develop software or services that provide the same or similar functionality.”

I sometimes contribute code on forums. I am happy my contributions are reused without compensation or attribution - that’s their purpose. But these two clauses above make this process a one-way street. The clauses seem to grant IBM broad rights over user-generated content, while simultaneously restricting the development of similar software. This could limit innovation or the ability to build alternative solutions, especially when a company decides not to purchase IBM product components but still needs similar functionality.

I suggest IBM modify the second clause to allow flexibility in using knowledge and ideas gained from their forums, as long as it’s not a direct copy of IBM proprietary products. This would be a mutually beneficial solution, where IBM benefits from developer engagement and contributions without restricting freedom to innovate.

That said, I completely understand your hesitancy, and I’d recommend consulting with your legal team for any clarifications specific to your situation.

My company does not require that I participate, so I’m going to bypass this altogether and unenroll. But I find it impossible to delete my profile on TechXchange - the page seems to want me to agree first :smiley:

I had sent an email request to TechXchange email and they were able to deactivate my account. support (at) communitysite.ibm.com

1 Like

Hi,

please check your script blocker if you have one installed.
I have encountered similar behaviour when not all domains were allowed in the script blocker.

Regards,
Holger

2 Likes

Thanks @reamon - I’ll try that.
Thanks @Holger_von_Thomsen - no, I have no script blockers.

1 Like