File Polling

What protocol file polling uses behind the scenes?

The file polling port itself doesn’t use protocols to read the file. What determines what (if a) protocol is used is the OS based on the type of file. For example, if reading from the local disk, none. If reading from a Windows file share (e.g. \server), SMB is typically used. On older versions of Windows, NetBT was used.

Can file polling be done on SAP application server AL11. I think we can do it after setting up an sFTP connection but wanted to know more on this from the Guru’s point of view.

Regards,
Kushal

Hi Kushal,

I dont think that you can poll files from a remotely connected SFTP-Server.

You will have to arrange some sort of notification service (we are using a WebService for this) containing the filename(s) to get from the SFTP Server. In the flow of the WebService you can then get the file(s) from the SFTP Server and process them.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

Thought so…!!

Also, was thinking about getting an RFC invoked every time a file is placed in AL11 via Z program. That RFC would result in a document publish to Broker with filename, filepath and environment fields and the subscribing side service would initiate an sFTP connection to retrieve the files and transfer to partner. What do you say ?

Other feasible options are greatly appreciated…:slight_smile:

Regards,
Kushal

Hi Holger,

Would appreciate a response on the above.

Dear All,

I was trying to create a new file polling in 9.7 IS. I created the folders and gave the processing service as Kushal.filePolling:filePollingProcessingService where
Kushal - Package folder
filePolling - folder inside Kushal
filePollingProcessingService - service to be invoked with data.

I have set the input parameter to flow service as “node” and “ffdata” object variables. Now, when I place a xml file into the monitoring folder, the file gets transferred to complete folder successfully but my flow service was not executed.

What Am I missing here.?. The Run services as user parameter is set as Administrator. The flow services ACL is also set as Administrator.

Regards,
Kushal

Hi Kushal,

sorry for the öate reply, but I am currently very busy and struggling with one MWS installation which is not correctly initializing.

I am not a SAP Developer but the general idea sound good.

Did you check the IS Administrators Guide as well as the webMethods Service Development Help and/or the FlatFile Schema Developers Guide?
There should be samples for how to configure file polling ports and the handling Services in there.

Regards,
Holger

Hi Holger,

Checked the guide but there is no information on specifying the service name in the file polling port.

Also, if my service is not getting executed, how come the file is moving to completed folder?. It should have moved to error folder

regards,
Kushal

in the file polling port, under the Message Processing-- first option is processing service. If your service is not executing the file should not move to done. Is file polling port enabled.