File Polling Issue

Hi,

I am working on File Polling Integration in webMethods 6.5.

In 4x, When the file is picked from the monitoring directory and moved to the working directory, the date and time of processing gets appended to the file name as filename.doc_03072007_1045_455 .

But in 6x, when the file is picked and moved to the working directory, this doesn’t happen. Instead, the file in the working directory looks like
FilePolling.12334.filename.doc .

1. Whether is it possible to append the date and time to the file name in 6x file polling as in 4x as file moves to working directory?

2. If not, is it a drawback of WM 6x. Since we can identify the file based on the date and time of processing?

Have any one come across such situation.:confused: If so, Please help me.:mad:

Regards,
Venkatesh

I’m surprised there isn’t an option to append a timestamp. If that’s the case…

In your processing service that handles the file, you could use a java service to get the date of the file in that directory.

Tim

I think the file polling port is supposed to clean-up after itself, using the Cleanup File Age and Cleanup Interval settings. The descriptions for those make no mention of needing a Cleanup Service specified and I’ve observed that a delete of old files occurs when Cleanup At Startup is set to Yes. I think the SR in Advantage may be off/old.

All of this is true. However, my file polling ports in IS 6.1 do show an optional field for Cleanup Service. I’ve never monkeyed with this, but I would speculate that you could identify a service that will run in place of the default cleanup service at the interval specified in Cleanup Interval. Here is a more recent SR about this. It would certainly be easy to test.

Tim

But even I am not sure about the feature of adding the date and time to the file name which exist in 4x File Polling whether is available in 6x. Pls let me know is there any other solution to append the date and time to the file name other than writing the java service in 6x file polling.

Venkatesh

As far as I know, there is not.

Perhaps we can help figure out an approach for whatever it is you’re trying to do. What issue are you addressing by relying on the date/time in the filename?

Actually In 4x we are getting the file name with the date and time of processing appended. We want this in 6x file polling. Please let me know if there is any possible way of incorporating this in 6x other than writing the java service to append the date and time to the file name.

Venkatesh

No, there is no way to change this behavior from the IS administration interface.

It would not be a difficult java service to write. You could model it on PSUtilities.file:moveFile, which includes the functionality to append a timestamp to the name.

If, for whatever reason, this is not an option you would need to consider a different approach to accomplishing whatever task it is you accomplish by parsing the timestamp out of the file name.

Tim

The OS records the timestamp - can’t you do an ‘ls -ltr’ (Unix), or ‘dir’ (Windows) to identify the file based on the date and time of processing?

Not trying to pick at you, just trying to offer ideas that matched your request!
-greg