EntireX CIS using Java

I am using the sample classes (u4etx) that I downloaded from SL24 to write a Java client that invokes Broker CIS. (I know that they are unsupported.) I am trying to get a list of ALL server objects and it works just fine. However, when I try to specify CLASS/SERVER/SERVICE I still get ALL server objects. Creating a level 3 trace and looking at the send buffer I noticed that the CLASS, SERVER, and SERVICE values are right justified not left justified. For example, for the value “TEST” I see “0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000054455354” in the send buffer not “5445535400000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000”. Is this a hardware issue (BIG ENDIAN/LITTLE ENDIAN) issue or is there a bug in the u4etx classes?

Client is on Windows XP.

I see it rather as a bug. I have once corrected a bug that is due to wrong behaviour when the list of services is very long. I will try to see If I can reporduce this bug as well.

I have received a new jar file from Software AG support. I will test it very soon. If the problems are fixed the new jar file will be made available on ServLine24.

What about the status of this jar file. Is it available in servline ? if so , where ?

I have tested the new jar file and the right justification problem has been fixed. I do not know if this new jar file is on SL24. I will ask Software AG and report back.

I’m looking for this jar file also. Where can I download it please ?

For some reason it is no longer available for download on ServLine24. I will find out if I can post what I have on this forum. But, it will be at least 2 weeks before I can do it.

I have attached a zip file containing the new u4etx.jar file, a sample program, and some documentation. Use at your own risk. No warranties expressed or implied. Software AG will make the jar file available as part of the Technical Paper in the future.

Here’s a copy of the Technical Paper from ServLine24:

Command and Information Services using Java
The Broker Command and Information Services (CIS) is used by both Broker Control Center (BCC) and the System Management Hub (SMH) for monitoring and controlling Broker. It’s also possible to call these services directly, so anything that can be done through BCC or SMH can also be done by direct calls from a program.

The principal difficulty with calling CIS from Java is that the services use data structures of some complexity. These data structures and supporting methods and classes for calling CIS from Java are now available in an unsupported package, contained in u4etx.jar file. Source code is supplied so that modifications can easily be done if needed. The supplied javadoc has the details of the classes and methods provided. The package can be downloaded here (select “extract all files”, then select a personal folder where the files can be extracted to).

Here is a simple program using the package to shut down all servers running under userid JavaServer. It’s also included as ServShut.java in the download above.

There are a couple of tricks related to CIS programming that bear mentioning.

For a server shutdown, CIS needs the internal ID assigned by Broker to the server, in order to do the shutdown. This is because there may be multiple servers with the same server name or user id, so there is no unique identifier other than the internal ID to shut down a specific server. The sample program scans for a specific user id and shuts down all internal IDs associated with that user id. The program could easily be modified to scan for a server name instead.

There is also a pitfall for the unwary in the package code. The Information call within CIS can potentially return a number of messages, rather than a single one. This is because the list of objects to be returned is a list of variable length. As many of the objects as can be returned within the Broker receive buffer (implemented as BlockLength in this package) will be returned in the first message. The package code makes no provision for doing more than one receive, in the case that the returned list will not fit into the receive buffer. So, potentially, there may be more servers active than are returned by the IServiceResponse. The BlockLength of 7200 in the sample program is large enough for the data from 20 servers to be returned. If there will be more than 20 servers running, the BlockLength will have to be increased. If the number of servers is known to be relatively constant, the BlockLength can be set to a size sufficient for the known maximum number of servers, and the package code used as is.

The sample program as supplied does not use the package methods to make the call for information on the servers. Instead explicit Broker calls are coded, to ensure that all messages returned as a result of the call are read and processed. This handles the more general cases, where the number of servers or other objects to be returned is not known.

Please note that neither this program nor the u4etx.jar package is officially supported by Software AG. The risk is that should the CIS structures or the EXX Java ACI change, the code in the u4etx.jar will have to be updated. However both have been stable and backwardly compatible for the last 3 releases over six years, so it is reasonable to expect this risk to be small. With the v711 release, a new release of CIS, version 3, includes some new data items in the Broker object. The u4etx.jar code does not include these data items, but they do not affect the functioning of the code.

Here’s the sample program code.

/**

** A simple program to shut down all servers that are running under the user id specified in the

** configuration section. It illustrates the basic principles of using the Command and Information

** Services from Java with the package contained in u4etx.jar. This jar file must be on the

** classpath at compile and at run time, as well as the usual entirex.jar or entxrt.jar files.

** 11/06/2003 sakdo

**/

import de.sagd.u4etx.cis.*;

import de.sagd.u4etx.cis.objects.*;

import de.sagd.u4etx.cis.params.*;

import de.sagd.u4etx.cis.utils.*;

import com.softwareag.entirex.aci.*;

public class ServShut {

static Broker broker;

static IServiceResponse res;

static CmdServiceMessage cmd;

static InfoServiceMessage info;

static String BrokerCallE;

static String CIServer = "SAG/ETBCIS/INFO";

// ----------------------------------------------------------------------

// configuration section for Broker

// BrokID = host and port where the target Broker is listening

// BUserID = user id that will issue the Information and Command requests

// ServerUID = user id under which the server to be terminated is running

static String BrokId 		= "localhost:1971";

static String BUserID		= "sakdoIS";

static String ServerUID		= "JavaServer";

public static void main(String[] argv) {

try {

// Create a broker object

BrokerCallE="Logon";

broker = new Broker(BrokId,BUserID);

broker.logon();

// Create an InfoServiceMessage object to get information on active servers

info = new InfoServiceMessage();

info.setInterfaceVersion(InterfaceVersion.VERSION_2);

info.setBlockLength(new BlockLength(7200));

info.setObjectType(ObjectType.SERVER);

UserID suid = new UserID(ServerUID);

info.setUserID(suid);

// create a Command message object for the server shutdown

cmd = new CmdServiceMessage();

cmd.setInterfaceVersion(InterfaceVersion.VERSION_2);

cmd.setObjectType(ObjectType.SERVER);

cmd.setCommand(Command.SHUTDOWN);

cmd.setOption(Option.IMMED);

// create and send the request for info on active servers

// the following 2 lines of code (commented out) use methods from the package.

// However the response from Broker may consist of more than one message,

// which situation the package code did not handle.

// Here the lines are replaced with explicit calls to Broker to get all

// messages returned from the Information Service.

//

// ServiceRequest req = new ServiceRequest(broker, info);

// IServiceResponse res = req.sendReceive();

// create BrokerService object and make Conversation call to Broker

BrokerService oBService = new BrokerService(broker, CIServer);

Conversation oConv = new Conversation(oBService);

BrokerCallE="Send info request";

BrokerMessage bmResponse = oConv.sendReceive(new BrokerMessage(info.getMessage()));

res = new InfoServiceResponse(bmResponse.getMessage(), info.getObjectType());

ServTerm();

BrokerCallE="Receive server info";

// keep reading responses until a null object is returned from the receive request

//

while ( ( bmResponse = oConv.receive() ) != null ) {

res = new InfoServiceResponse(bmResponse.getMessage(), info.getObjectType());

ServTerm();

}

}

catch (BrokerException bE) {

System.out.println("Error at " + BrokerCallE + ": " + bE);

}

catch (ServiceResponseException sE) {

System.out.println("ServiceResponse error from package: " + sE);

}

catch (ServiceMessageException mE) {

System.out.println("ServiceMessage error at info.getMessage: " + mE);

}

}

private static void ServTerm()

throws 	de.sagd.u4etx.cis.ServiceResponseException {

// run through list of active servers

for (int i = 0; i < res.getCommonHeader().getCurrentNumObjects(); i++) {

// printout if needed

// System.out.println("SERVER [" + i + "] : " + res.getServiceResponseObject(i));

// Get the userid associated with the server and see if it's the one we want

IServiceResponseObject resO = res.getServiceResponseObject(i);

if ( resO.getUserID().equals(ServerUID) ) {

// shutdown requires the internal userid of the server

PUserID ServerPUID = new PUserID(resO.getPUserID());

cmd.setPUserID(ServerPUID);

// and send the shutdown command

ServiceRequest sendcmd = new ServiceRequest(broker, cmd);

IServiceResponse rescmd = sendcmd.sendReceive();

//the command itself returns only an error code which will be

//thrown as a ServiceResponseException if non-zero

}

}

}

}

Wayne Campos

It appears as if the attachment is missing. I’ll try it again. Hopefully, it’s attached to this message.

I getting a message that I’ve reached my Upload Quota of 300 KB. Hopefully, the attachment will make it to this forum somehow.

Wayne

Hopefully, the jar file will get uploaded this time.
u4etx.zip (35.1 KB)

Here’s some documentation. I had to make a separate file to try to get around the upload limit.
u4etx_doc.zip (141 KB)