EJB Adapter are there alternatives

We are trying to research a solution , where we write some sample EJB’s( running on a J2EE server) which will invoke services running on a WM Integration Server v 4.6. The easy way to do this integration seems to be to use an EJB adapter , but are there any alternatives to doing this without installing an EJB adapter? If an alternative exists, would anyone be able to provide me with a code samples for the bean , so I can figure out how to connect from the EJB to the service?Also - does the EJB adapter only work with JBoss, Weblogic and Websphere - (it appears that way from the installation guide for the adapter); what about the J2EE server ( free from the Sun website). Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks.

You don’t have to install the EJB adapter to invoke a wm service (it’s for wm to EJB). Just use the java API that comes with webMethods (look in your local webMethods Developer/doc/API/java directory) to invoke a service using regular java code. You can click on a flow service then pick Tools->Generate Code to get an idea of what the java code will look like - but the code is usually quite bloated so you can trim it down quite a bit.
You can also use http to decouple the 2 servers at the potential expense of performance.

Thanks for your suggestions, Will.I am looking through the java API now and will post more qns, if I have any.

With reference to my post above a question :

1. I used the java code which was generated but despite several tries - get an unable to connect to server message. I have checked the classpath , and userid/pwd settings and all of those seem right. Could firewall rules on the Integration Server be causing issues ? Any other reasons the java client doesnt connect?

Thanks.

You put the client.jar and server.jar in your J2EE container’s classpath right?

In WM 6.0 the WmJBoss package allows you to generate something called an iBean (short for integration bean) that does exactly what you are looking for. Since you’re using WM46, the WmJBoss package is not an option, but you can still create your own “iBeans” manually.

Is upgrading to WM6 and option for you? If so, you’re likely to save hours and hours of writing, testing and maintaining EJB’s that invoke WM java and Flow services. Plus, if you already have a EJB-savvy development team, they can write beans that are easily accessible from any of your IS services.

If you can’t migrate to WM6, but you have a WM6 test server available to you, just go to the WmJBoss packages “iBean Generator” tool (found on the tools menu at http://[i]<is_hostname>[/i]:5555/WmJBoss/index.dsp) to generate the appropriate local, home and remote classes for a simple service (I always start with pub.math:addInts or pub.flow:debugLog). Then modify that code to work for you in IS46.

HTH,

Mark

One more screen shot…

Will, thanks for your reply . I have client.jar in my classpath but not server.jar - is that needed too ? Also Mark thanks for your suggestion but at the moment, my team is not planning to upgrade to 6.0. I did mention your post to them and the possibilities , and am waiting to hear more back from them.

Hi MarkCarlson,

I am new to WmJBoss .We installed and configured WmJBoss.We sent a message to some destination Queue that is ok now we are trying to retrieve that message from same Queue .I read MDB concept but i didnt understand How do we create MDB and How Do use it for retreving
messages from Queue .

Can u tell me Step by Step process for sending & Retrieving messages from Queues in WmJBoss, that will great help to me.

Thanks
Anil

Anil,

I haven’t worked with JBoss JMS and can’t help you with this question. Perhaps others here have done so.

You should also get a good EJB book. One of my favorites is Ed Roman’s Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans. It has a good chapter on Message Driven Beans.

Mark

Hi ,
Anybody is working on WmJBoss then can you give me the solution for below information:
I am new to WmJBoss .We installed and configured WmJBoss.We sent a message to some destination Queue that is ok now we are trying to retrieve that message from same Queue .I read MDB concept but i didnt understand How do we create MDB and How Do use it for retreving
messages from Queue .

Anybody tell me Step by Step process for sending & Retrieving messages from Queues in WmJBoss, that will great help to me.

Thanks
kumar