Do we have an option to rename a package in webMethods (Developer/Designer) - CLOSED

Hi All,

Do we have an option/trick to rename a package in webMethods (Developer/Designer)?

Currently we follow the below steps to rename a package:

1> Create a new package and a folder under the created package (with the same name as package)
2> Copy/cut/move the code to the folder that was created
3> Delete the old package

I know that we can rename a project folder or a package in eclipse but can we achieve the same in webMethods.

Any trick on playing with the file systems /IntegrationServer/packages

Port your ideas/suggestions on this topic? I will let you know if I find some options.

Mahesh,

I would suggest to do it from Developer/Desginer, if your packages count is low

In case you want try a trick, Do the following for one package

Step 1:Back up your packages
Step 2:Select one package, Rename it & also rename the folder in ns folder(ex package/ns/package)
Step 3:Restart packages check all the service are working correctly or not
Step 4: If any listeners configured in package, re-configure them

Let me know, if this works or not!!!

Thanks
Sai

@ Sai & All

I followed your steps but did not work but I have got some information for you :slight_smile:

I played with “/IntegrationServer/packages” folder and finally tried to achieve how to rename a package. (Checked for flow services and java services)

1> Created a Test package with the below structure

Test (Package)
-Test (Folder)
-javaSvc (Folder, inside Test folder)
-myJavaSvc (Java service, inside javaSvc folder)
-addInts (Flow service, inside Test folder)

2> Once the above package is created, I unlocked the package and backed up the package from Developer (or IS)

3> Go to \IntegrationServer\packages\Test, rename Test to Test_1. i.e., \IntegrationServer\packages\Test_1

4> Go to \IntegrationServer\packages\Test_1\ns you will find a folder “Test” eg. \IntegrationServer\packages\Test_1\ns\Test, rename Test to Test_1 i.e, \IntegrationServer\packages\Test_1\ns\Test_1,

5> Go to \IntegrationServer\packages\Test_1 create a Zip file (not WinRar) using WinZip/WinRar and name it as Test_1.

6> Test_1 Zip file will be created and copy this to replicate\inbound and install the package.

7> Package will be installed partially but activated (you will receive missing class files for java services) go to developer and compile the java services and reload the package.

8> Delete the old package Test from IS.

I guess its better to go for the below steps than going through all the steps above (Step 1 to Step 7).
1> Create a new package and a folder under the created package (with the same name as package)
2> Copy/cut/move the code to the folder that was created
3> Delete the old package

I wish that SAG comes with an option to rename a package just like Eclipse :slight_smile:

I agree with Mahesh.

Additionall Informations about that:

The package name is stored in several places like pub/index.dsp, manifest.v3 (the Package Descriptor).

When you move the Services from one Package to another inside Developer/Designer it will do some checks for other services (even in other packages) using the moving services and asks if the references should be updated or not.

If you do the renaming in the file system you will have to do some sort of “find” or “grep” to identify and subsitute these occurences.

If renaming packages is really a necessary option I suggest opening a feature request on Brainstorm and lets see what happens.

Regards,
Holger

Hi There,

Personally, I see no value in doing so much, which can be done with create package, copy & paste the top folder.

Exploring the possibility is appreciable.

Well said by Holger about dependencies, references and manifest file.

@Mahesh,

You can compile your package using: wm.server.packages:compilePackage

Thanks,
Rankesh

1 Like

I agree with you Rankesh, create package, copy & paste the top folder is the better option and it is quick. I wish SAG comes with an option to rename the package in future releases.

I just tried to explore and played with the packages folder in the file system to check if that can work but its working :slight_smile:

@ Holger - Thanks for your inputs and detials.

@ Rankesh & All,

wm.server.packages:compilePackage services is not available under WmRoot package on wM version 7. I am sure it should be on 8 and above.

1 Like