Disabling vs. Deleting code lines in Flow

Hi experts,

At the moment we are using wM6.5 (32-bit) on Java 1.4.2. The whole thing works more or less fine but because of memory limitations on the 1.4.2 version of java (it can’t handle more than 1.5GB of Ram per instance :crazy:) we have been in a war on memory usage by interfaces, especially that the upgrade to wM8 is going extremely slow at the moment :yawn:.

I have noticed that we have a lot of grayed-out lines in many of our interfaces in production :eek: and since Flow services are interpreted and at the bottom line converted to java code, I am wondering if the gray lines of code in Flow are actually interpreted but not executed :confused:. If this is the case deleting the disabled lines might reduce memory requirements for many interface :rolleyes:.

I have 2 question and I appreciate your help answering them:

1- Do the disabled (i.e. greyed-out) lines in Flow get interpreted by wM or are they truly ignored?

2- In terms of process, does it matter if a line is greyed-out or deleted? In other words, what would I risk if I delete these disabled lines of code? :uhoh:

Cheers.

1. Don’t know. My guess is they are still in memory.
  2. The only risk would be the loss of the step that used to be there. From an execution standpoint, there is no risk because the step doesn’t do anything.

“…at the bottom line converted to java code,”

Strictly speaking, it is interpreted by Java code which cause methods in existing classes to be run. “Converted” implies that FLOW is changed/compiled into new byte code–it isn’t.

Disabled code do get loaded into memory and hence it consume some resources… even if you’ll refer to SAG best practices/GEAR documentation… they also suggest to delete the disabled code… instead of leaving it like that.
Risk of doing so – u’ll only lose the code which u might want to disable for some time and use it again… but my thumb of rule :stuck_out_tongue: … u should not have any disabled code in production environment…

“u should not have any disabled code in production environment”

Agreed.

Thanks for the very useful answer. And I agree with you. Disabled code should not make it to production environment.