Delays in relating documents

Greetings All,

Using the TN service wm.tn.doc.relateDocuments on a single TN instance - not clustered - always returns 1 in the output variable updateCount, indicating that the service succesfully established the relationship. However, if I very shortly therafter query in another service in order to find the related document in question, that randomly fails, but if the query is issued again with no change several hundered milliseconds or seconds later the related document turns up, correctly, but mysteriously.

The question is, why should this be the case? One would have thought that by the time the wm.tn.doc.relateDocuments service returns that the documents are indeed related and a query would immediately and always return them. The behaviour we are seeing looks like some sort of asynchronous background thread is doing the work, or similar. There is no evidence for this, but that’s just what it looks like.

I have a workaround whereby we sit in a loop waiting for the related document to turn up. This works, but it’s very ugly.

Do any of our esteemed colleagues have any experience with this matter? Any clues at all would be most gratefully received.

The version of TN is 6.5, as is IS. Documents are stored for TN in Oracle 9i.

cheerio
Andrew

Greetings All,

We solved the problem of delays in relating documents in TN. Although we suspected a subtle defect in TN and hence the post querying this, but in fact the error was ours and caused by a silly programming mistake. It turns out that a document was triggering a TN processing rule in an unexpected state just one step ahead of a call to relateDocuments. The processing rule caused the document to be published and the subscriber which was looking for the related document of course would sometimes not see it as it may not have been related yet. There is no moral to this story expect to check your processing rules carefully (reminder to myself!).

Case closed. Apologies if I have wasted anybody’t time pondering this thread.

cheerio
Andrew