Database size

I was curious to find out the “explosion” of data with Tamino.

In other words, if I create a collection with 10 MB of data. How much is the size of the db after its stored in Tamino ???

This very much depends on the size of the documents being stored and the indices that you create (as defined in the schema).

What if use the “default indices” that created ?

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart Fyffe-Collins:
This very much depends on the size of the documents being stored and the indices that you create (as defined in the schema).

quote:
Originally posted by nchawla:
What if use the "default indices" that created ?

Quote: "Originally posted by Stuart Fyffe-Collins:
This very much depends on the size of the documents being stored and the indices that you create (as defined in the schema)."

When documents are stored in Tamino, the documents themselves are stored in data, whereas the indices are stored in the index space. By applying default native mapping with indexing means all terminal nodes are indexed. So depending on the complexity of the document it is not really possible to determine the the “explosion” of the document in terms of index and data.

An easy way to find out though: create a db, write a small java program say which writes 1000 ‘average’ documents. Then use Tamino manager to judge the average “explosion” factor. This is what we do sometimes to see what size of database we need to create but it only acts as a rough guide.

As a very very rough guide and this is my experience: data usage is 1 - 1.5 times the actual document size. Index is 1 - 2 times the document size. This applies to v2.3 of Tamino only. :cool:

Stuart:

Thats what I observed as well. For about 110 MB of data, the total db size with default indices was around 240 MB.

I am still struggling to add large documents. Whenever, I add a 30 MB document using java client API, I run into trouble. The fast mass load utility is also giving me errors (I have another post related to this errors on this forum). So my question with Tamino DB is there a upper limit in terms of how large of a document could be added to Tamino db ?

–naren

What do you mean “default mapping with indexing”? If I load a schema, by default, it’s native. Only when I select “standard” or “text” indexing for each node, will the node be indexed, right?

How can I check the database size? When I create a database, I specify a size, but that’s the total size, and may not be fully used. Thanks!

Frank

Hi Frank, ‘default mapping’ was something in the v2.3 schema editor and it set the index on all terminal nodes. This is no longer the same with Tamino v3 - you have to set which nodes are indexed and which are not. You are correct in saying that only when you have specified an index is that node indexed.

To check the database size utilization go into Tamino manager and open up the branch for your database. One of the items is “Information” and within that there is a “Space Usage” item. Click on this and the Tamino will tell you the size of the database in terms of Index and Data and for each how much space is free.

Thanks a lot!
However, I loaded 110MB XML documents. The total dataspace size is: 1.46GB, free size: 1.44GB. Then the used space is only 20MB. Is that correct?

Frank