Data space management

Hello everyone!

I have some questions about data space management and storing non-XML documents in Tamino.

For example I have many binary files and XML documents that describes them (search images). And I would like to load all this stuff in Tamino. Search images are considerably smaller than corresponding binary documents and expected to be retrieved more often.

So, are both XML and non-XML documents stored in the same physical file? If yes, does large data file size (caused especially by non-XML documents) affect time to retrieve XML documents (maybe in case of fragmentation)? If yes, is there any way to map doctypes to different data spaces?

I’ve often heard it with respect to other database management systems (mainly relational) that it is recommended to store binary data in file system and use database engine only for search images.

Which strategy would you suggest for Tamino?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alexander,

For the xml and nonxml you define two separate schema so effectively there are two separate “files”. If you wish to you can store the xml and nonxml in different collections as well.

Hope this helps,
Stuart

Stuart Fyffe-Collins
Software AG (UK) Ltd.