Can't install on Win2000 Server

Hello,

It is happend that my machine is running Win2000 server for some other reason, and installation program says:
“The license file does not include the Windows version you are using.”

What shall I do next??? Can I get license which will include mine version of Windows???

Please help,

Regards,
Vadim

Hi Vadim,
As you have already realised, the Starter Kit license key does not permit installation on a Windows 2000 Server machine. The software prerequisites listed on www.xmlstarterkit.com show Windows 2000 Professional, but not Server. But, hey, who has time to read all those boring prerequisites anyway! :slight_smile:

Option 1. You install on a Windows 2000 Professional machine (but you already know that!).

Option 2. You contact your local Software AG office and arrange a test license. However, this means signing contracts, etc, etc, and only makes sense if you are planning a full-scale formal test of Tamino.

So, if you are simply wanting to get to know Tamino without any stress, you will need to find a machine using Windows 2000 Professional.

By the way, in case anyone else thinks otherwise, Tamino does run on Windows 2000 Server. The Starter Kit has simply been artificially restricted from doing so. It is a free test version of the software, after all, and is intended for personal use! :slight_smile:

As a matter of interest, I wonder how many people out there have Windows 2000 Server on their personal machines. Maybe you are not the only one who has hit this problem!

Regards
Dave

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply; it is not very helpful in my case but I see I do not have many alternatives here. Will try to get NT workstation - hopefully next week.

Thanks for the help,

Regards,
Vadim

Well, I run all my testing here at work on Win2K Server. I can’t just uninstall and go to professional and I don’t have any spare servers just sitting around. If anyone finds a nice work around, please let us know because I want to test this, but my licenses are for Server, not Professional (unless I installed it on my desktop, and that ain’t happening).

R

I would echo the last response. We develop for W2K Server and all of our lab/test/play machines are W2K Server. This may be a good product but we’ll never know if we can’t install it on a server to experiment with.

mark

I sincerely hope Software AG will allow us to test Tamino on a W2K server. I can’t see why not.

I don’t want to spend my time cracking this thing and I don’t want to be responsible for that.

KG :wink:

KG

Since 24th August, the free Starter Kit software included a license key that allows you to install Tamino on a Windows 2000 Server machine!

So, if this has been stopping you from downloading and testing Tamino, go and download it right now! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Dave

Dave,
I’m using an evaluation copy of Advanced Win2K Server to try this out. Is that included in the license key? My downloaded key OS tag is:

winnt_5.0s, winnt_5.0t, winnti_4.0s, winnti_4.0p, winnt_5.0p

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by David Galpin:
Since 24th August, the free Starter Kit software included a license key that allows you to install Tamino on a Windows 2000 Server machine!

So, if this has been stopping you from downloading and testing Tamino, go and download it right now! :slight_smile:

Cheers
Dave