Can I use Tamino as a persistent DOM?

I’ve only had a quick look at Tamino but I am currently under the impression that it is not possible to use Tamino as a persistent DOM (to be used in a Java application). I just wondered if someone could verify this for me?

Thanks,

H

Hi Helen,
What is a persistent DOM - just another word for storing an XML document in an way that you can “reaccess” it easily ?
If this is true, Tamino is “ideally suited” as the sales people say :wink:
But try to describe your scenario a bit more, flat files might be an easier solution !
regards Finn

Okay having had a better look at the Java API I think I can ask this question better. If I understand this correctly, you get a DOM by using getDocument() in TaminoResult. Does anyone know what this does exactly? eg does it just take an XML output from Tamino and parse it or does it give a reference to some sort of persistent implementation of DOM which Tamino provides?

I want a persistent DOM because currently an application we are writing has memory problems, since it cannot cope with large numbers of XML documents or simply singular large XML documents since the DOM trees will not fit in memory… (and so hopefully a good persistent DOM could solve this by managing the data properly, bringing required data into memory and storing other data temporarily on disk?)

Thanks for your help!

H

Hi Helen,
Tamino will store and retrieve XML-documents (pure txt with tags) !
I.e. you can store documents into Tamino without having them parsed into a DOM-tree, and the retrieve parts (subtrees) of it for use in, for instance, a DOM-parser.

Is it impossible for you to use a SAX-parser instead of DOM in order to avoid memory problems?

Regards Finn

Unfortunately that won’t solve this problem :frowning:

Anyway thank you for your help, I think I have finally established that unfortunately Tamino really isn’t suitable in this case!

thanks again

H