Business Connector - excuting BAPI

Hi,
I am new to Business Connector, and I think I am missing something basic.
My scenarion is as follow:
I am holding an idoc key and type, and I need to get from SAP ERP the full idoc.
I was told the best way to do it is by running 3 BAPIs one after the other:
EDI_DOCUMENT_OPEN_FOR_READ
EDI_SEGMENTS_GET_ALL
EDI_DOCUMENT_CLOSE_READ

I am using sap.pub.sap.client.invoke which reqwires only server name and rfcName.
I fill out:
servname: myserver
rfcName:EDI_DOCUMENT_OPEN_FOR_READ

when I run it, I get
com.sap.conn.jco.AbapException: DOCUMENT_NUMBER_INVALID
and this is making sense bacaue I didn’t provide the idoc key…
But, I can’t understand how should I pass it? is there a hidden way to pass parameters? how should I know what parametrs should I pass?

Thanks
Gideon

Hello Gideon,
you have two options:

a) Just put a variable of name DOCUMENT_NUMBER into the pipeline, before you invoke
pub.sap.client:invoke. This Service will pick it up automatically from the pipeline.

b) A more convenient way is: go to Adapters → SAP → Lookup and create an “RFC Outbound Map” for EDI_DOCUMENT_OPEN_FOR_READ (and the other ones as well).
Then instead of pub.sap.client:invoke use this generated Outbound Map. It will display the inputs/outputs of that function module in the pipeline neatly.

One more tip: these three EDI_** function modules will probably use SAP internal user session memory. Therefore you will need to use lockSession/releaseSession as follows:

• invoke pub.sap.client:lockSession
    (reserves an RFC connection from the pool for your exclusive usage)
  • invoke EDI_DOCUMENT_OPEN_FOR_READ
  • invoke EDI_SEGMENTS_GET_ALL
  • invoke EDI_DOCUMENT_CLOSE_READ
  • invoke pub.sap.client:releaseSession
    (releases the connection back to the pool and resets the user session inside SAP)

If you are using Java, do the “releaseSession” in a finally block! That way you can be sure that it will always be executed (avoiding ugly connection leaks).

Lanzelot