BinCoder decode error creating as String java.util.Date

Hello everybody,

I am unsure if this is the right category to start the thread. If it’s not, may a moderator please move it :slight_smile:

Here’s my problem:
At a client’s installation we are facing several errors with documents being transitioned from one process state to another, with the previous state having been created in an earlier version of webMethods and the new state in a new version.

The document entered the workflow process in an installation of webMethods 7.1.2, which was upgraded to 8.2 recently. Now, when the document goes to the next step in the process the following error message is written to the server.log:

The webMethods Error Message reference is a joke. For both Errors “PRT.0101.0319” and “ISC.0076.004” it only quotes the generic error message format, but fails to give an explanation about a cause and possible actions, as it usually does with other error messages.

I have googled a lot and have searched the Tech Community at, but to no avail.

It is fairly obvious that the russian date format with the day and month in cyrillic letters cannot be parsed. But I have no idea where these date values are coming from and where to start looking for the error, let alone a solution.

From what I’ve found so far, JVM versions and locales might be involved here. But what should I check and what for?

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,

JVM read the OS’s locale settings, looks you are running a cyrillic version of OS.

you can write a simple java server with:
Locale.setDefault(new Locale(“en”,“US”));
and make a startup service of one of your main package, this will reset the locale for JVM.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your suggestion. We might consider that for a future update delivery.

Do you think there is a way to fix this without having to send the client an update?

Also, I would like to understand the root cause of this error. Where would I start looking, what dates are to be parsed? Would MWS help?

Thanks again,

the BinCoder trying to parse some Date, but it won’t support a date string generated in cyrillic characters.
Root cause can either be: OS is a unsupported version, or the WM internal code doesn’t support Date generated in some cyrillic locale.
you can open ticket with SAG for a fix.

Thank you for your reply.

Before I open a ticket with SAG support I would first like to grasp what is the actual problem is, so that I can describe them what is going on. So far I wouldn’t even know what to ask from them.

It is fairly clear that the cyrillic date format cannot be parsed. However, I doubt that the OS is causing this, as it is a russian installation and I am 100% sure that they set their machines up so that the OS is understanding cyrillic characters.

If only those two options you mentioned apply, then the problem must be that the “WM internal code does not support the cyrillic locale”, which would be hard to explain as the environment is the same as before. Only difference is that WM was migrated from 7.1.2 to 8.2, where I would presume that the locale and language settings do not change.

Thanks in advance for more pointers how to identify the problem and how to describe what may be the reason for it.


You can explain the same that you have described above and they can better assist you on 822 issues rather than waiting on resolving and struggle.

My last posting was written on Monday, but it took 3 days before it was approved by a moderator.

In the meantime I have opened an incident with SAG. I’m curious what they’ll say and let you know.


In the unlikely case that anybody else faces the same problem, here’s the resolution from my contact with SAG support:

I have faced similar issue but the language used is English and the MWS version is 9.12

“java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: “”: System RunTime error Please try logging out then back in”