BAM Optimize 615 Installation queries

Hi,
I had installed & configured Manager Console 615 (MgrServer,controller,satellite, Database)- with no major errors, now Manager Console-615 works fine. Now, I am in the process of installing Optimize-615 in the same directory, but getting an error ‘Missing error.mixedVersionsSelectioned.panelTxt’ and could not proceed further. This error is displayed once Optimize-615 items - Controller, satellite, service pack 1- are selected for installation from the Image file.

If I install Optimize615 - Satellite alone, Can I combine ManagerConsole615-Controller (installed earlier) with Optimize615-Satellite.

Appreciate your valuable inputs. Thanks!

David (dstnind@yahoo.com)

Hi,
I would suggest installing Manager and optimize in different directories. The reason for this is that if you try to install one over the other then you will loose the first installation.
I would recommend you to install Optimize first in one directory and then manager in other directory. Then copy the items in agents folder of manager and copy it to agents folder of optimize. This way you will get all agents together in optimize. Now after copying these files remove manager and configure Optimize to work for both BAM and like MAnager console. This way you will have only one console serving both purpose. I hope i am of some help to you.

Regards,
Ramnish.

Hi Ram-
Thanks for the inputs. Like you said, have installed Optimize615 in a different directory other than Manager Console615. While comparing both Manager Console and Optimize installation - folders, there is no \conf\default within \controller for Optimize615.

Is this a normal one or the installation did not go well??

What I have done is, copied config files from Manager Console and placed them within Optimize\Controller\conf folders. And the agent list has 20 *.agent files for Manager Console\controller\agents folders where as there are only 12 *.agent files in Optimize\controller\agents.

Does this cause any problem?

Am woking on a POC with the following setup:
Host:1-IS 6.1 and Broker server and Satellite(Manager Console).
Host:2-Oracle DB 8.1.7
Host:3-Manager Server 615, Controller 615

Now on Host:3, I have installed Optimize615 and configured, as said above.

How do I proceed further to combine both Manager Console and Optimize so that I’ll only one Controller and a satellite (currently only one)

Will it be fine if Process Manager is loaded on the Controller Host or in a separate host.

What is the role of process manager with in Optimize-space.

Any comments/inputs definitely help.

Thanks
Dave
dstnind@yahoo.com

Hi Dave,
Regarding “default.jar” no present in Optimize folder is definetely an installation problem.
Regarding 12 agents in optimize and 20 agents in manager is perfectly right. This is because Manager provides extra agents for monitoring WM components while Optimize has its own agents for special purpose like the webservice DCA.
Now, to combine manager and optimize follow my above steps. Also it is fine to have process manager on same host as controller. Process manager is used to gather and analyse process related data. Its in-detail function, even i dont know.

I hope this clear things up.
Regards,
Ramnish.

Hi-
Couple of attempts failed to have \default folder and ‘default.jar’, within \controller\conf folder. Wondering, whether the installation process did detect controller components installed under Manager Console installation. Did try to install optimize in a different host other than Manager Console, still …\conf\default folder was not created.

No lead on this problem so far.

Is Manager Server ‘must’ for Optimize, or required only for Manager Console alone.
In Page-13,14- S/W requirements -webMethods Components section- of “webMethods BAM: Optimize Version 6.1.5 SP1 and Manager Console Version 6.1.5 GA Installation Guide”, Optimize does not require Manager Server for full operation. What does it mean?

The question here is, if Optimize does not require Manager Server then, how it is going to act on operational and system data.

Any experience to deal with ‘java.lang.NullPointerException’ on optimize\optimizeController\panel\OptimizeControllerEnvProgressPanel. ??

Appreciate sharing your experience.

Dave
Quinnox Inc.

Hi Dave,
Regarding “Default.jar” file, maybe the Installation Image that you are using for Optimize is corrupt. Try downloading a new Image for Optimize. If you are installing Optimize Service Pack 1, then directly install it. Dont install Optimize v6.1.5 and then try to patch it with service pack 1. Rather do a clean install of Service Pack 1 direclty.

Manager Server is only required for Manager Console. Optimize is completely independent of it. But if you plan to combine Manager Console into Optimize , then you will surely need Manager Server to monitor WM components. Also, as Optimize provides a special DCA, you can use this DCA to collect both operational and system data, and so you dont require Manager Server.

Sorry i dont have info on the Panel Nullpointerexception. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Regards,
Ramnish.

Hi Ram-
Thanks for the info.
As you said, have created new images to install Optimize615, to check if goes fine, but did not yield any good. Service Pack1 and with no service Pack 1 - installation, both resulted in non-existence of \conf\default folder and default.jar. Have used installer version Installer62-fix1 as well as Installer65.

As mentioned in my earlier note, the Error- java.lang.NullPointerException with 'OptimizeControllerEnvProgressPanel -happened during installation of Optimize with the old image file, but did not encounter any ‘Java.lang.NullPointerException’ with the newly created image for Optimize615 installation. Some Luck.

Now, its clear on Manager Server. Thanks.

Dave
Quinnox Inc.

Hi-
While clicking on MAP tab- on Manager Console, the system is trying to load: com/dante/ui/applet/eai/ModelObserverApplet.class, but both the class file or the folder structure (optimize\controller\conf\local\com\dante\ui\applet\eai) are not present in the current installation folders. Is this folder created during installation (OR) its created during configuring Manager Console.
Could not be able to find documentation reference on the same.

Any comment definitely helps.

Thanks
David
Quinnox Inc.

Hi Dave,
These class files are loaded from some JAR file. Even I dont know from where. But If you are not able to load the MAP tab then there is a solution for it. To load this classes properly you need Java runtime v1.4.2 and above. And this Java runtime must be loaded on those machines from which you want to see the Manager Console through Internet Explorer. You can find references for this problem on Advantage site.

Regards,
Ramnish.

Hi-
Yes, I do have JRE v1.4.2 loaded in the Manager Console host m/c. My understanding is that, the .JAR file is still looking at the .class file at the mentioned path, and the path is not part of my folder structure. If this is the case, how does .JAR file load the class anyway?? So am forced to believe that the installation/configuration is not complete.

The error, am getting is “load: class com.dante.ui.applet.eai.ModelObserverApplet not found”

My understanding is that, the class file is not located in any folders to be processed.

David
Quinnox Inc.

Hi dave,
I guess you are right. There might be problems with your installation.
Sorry I dont have more information for this. Maybe somebody else can reply.

Regards,
Ramnish.

Hi Dave

We too faced the same problem when tried to view “MAP” tab from Manager Console. So I checked what are all the JRE components installed in my machine and it is found more that one JRE is there in my system and it is pointing to some other JRE other than 1.4.2. So I unistalled all the JRE`s in my system and installed only 1.4.2 and enabled.

In your case also, check wheteher u have multiple JREs running in ur machine and disable all the JRE`s other than 1.4.2.

I hope this may give solution to u`r problem.

Dave/Ramnish,
Whether combining the Manager console & Optimize works? I want to know whether it is successful?
And also please let me know How we can use webServices DCA / Other DCA`s to monitor WM components from Optimize?

Regards
Ravi.

Hi Ravi,
Thanx a lot for your input.

Now coming to your question. Yes the combining of manager console and optimize works. It is successful and now we are using only Optimize console (including manager DCA’s) to do all our monitoring and BAM activities.
Now regarding DCA’s. You can import special DCA’s which are provided in manager console into Optimize, then configure as per user guide and thereby monitor all WM components. But to use DCA’s you need to use Manager Server as well. Second option is to use other special DCA’s provided by webMethods which are capable of monitoring only the Inetgration Server and Broker Server. Advantage of this second option is you wont need Manager Server. But disadvantage is you wont get indepth monitoring in this case as compared to former case.

Third option is to create System Monitors using webService DCA and then creating schedule services to push data into these System Monitors regularly. Using this option you can create as many montiors as you want and monitor only those attributes which are of your interest. But disadvantage would be to manually create a huge set of monitors and schedules services to push data into it whereas in the case of other DCA’s these monitors are automatically created and data is automatically pushed into them thereby saving your manual work.

I hope these inputs help you.

Regards,
Ramnish.