ADABAS v8 under z/OS1.9

Transaction N199 under ADABAS v8; CICSTS31 and z/OS 1.7 runs successfully. Move it to z/OS 1.9 and it hangs.

We do have ALLOWUSERKEYCSA set to YES.

Has anyone experienced this and if so what did you do to resolve it?

What is transaction N199 and what makes you believe this is an Adabas issue ?

N199 is the initial transaction to access the Adabas/Natural product. The program invoked is NCI199RE.

I believe this is a Adabas issue because

• CICS version/maintenance is unchanged - TS3.1 maint thru May 2008
  • The Natural version is unchanged
  • This is the only transaction experiencing an issue
  • the z/OS version and Adabas versions are the only things that have changed in the evnironment . It does not make sense to me that the z/OS release would be affecting this, so the logical place to start is with Adabas.

When I use CEDF to instruction step through the process there is no hang up until I exit the CEDF process - or- if I exit the CEDF process when I get to Natural Development Functions screen I can continue working, but as soon as I pf3 or pf12 and return to the Natural Main menu it hangs.

It appears the hang up occurs due to an EXTERNAL WAIT, but I do not know what it is waiting on. I’ve followed the wait/hang diagnostic procedures based on what is in the CICS Diagnostic manual, but I am not seeing anything that tells me what’s happening.

N199 is the initial transaction to access the Adabas/Natural product. The program invoked is NCI199RE.

I believe this is a Adabas issue because

• CICS version/maintenance is unchanged - TS3.1 maint thru May 2008
  • The Natural version is unchanged
  • This is the only transaction experiencing an issue
  • the z/OS version and Adabas versions are the only things that have changed in the evnironment . It does not make sense to me that the z/OS release would be affecting this, so the logical place to start is with Adabas.

When I use CEDF to instruction step through the process there is no hang up until I exit the CEDF process - or- if I exit the CEDF process when I get to Natural Development Functions screen I can continue working, but as soon as I pf3 or pf12 and return to the Natural Main menu it hangs.

It appears the hang up occurs due to an EXTERNAL WAIT, but I do not know what it is waiting on. I’ve followed the wait/hang diagnostic procedures based on what is in the CICS Diagnostic manual, but I am not seeing anything that tells me what’s happening.

Hello CJ in CO,

I think it makes sense to check the Adabas side.

Can you produce an Adabas command log of the situation where you get the hang? It may suffice starting TEST DBLOG from the Natural side before running the questionable transaction.

From there you could see what commands are being executed or at what commands are missing compared to a DBLOG on the former system - if you still have access to it.

A command log from the Adabas nucleus may provide further insight on timings and any deadlocks.

I presume you know how to get the the command log printed with PRILOG or REVIEW.

If this doesn’t lead to any conclusion you should consider involving Adabas support which can deal with the issue in greater detail.

Kind regards,
Marbod Mueller

Danke sch

Just an update in case anyone is following the bouncing ball.

The task in question issues an EXEC CICS Wait External from program ADACICT at X’6E2’.

So far, what is being waited on and why remain a mystery.

We have the same problem with two of our CICS regions (Development and Production). Direct command COBOL programs and Natural transactions hang.

We don’t have the problem in our other CICS regions. When I execute the Software AG modules from the problem regions in a different CICS region I do not have the problem.

What other products are running in your CICS region?

We have a test region which we’ve made very vanilla. Only adabas and natural are in this region. No omegamon, no cafc, no db2…nothing.

Does your transaction run in different region? Our’s does.
Have you heard anything from SAG on the problem?

Just found out that transaction will time out in adabas with response code 9 subcode 3 and end if you mess with it long enough using cedf.

I was wrong about the transaction ending, it just move to a different screen. Now rather then screen showing Trans id, I have screen with more prompt and Response code 9 error message.

Support is still looking a the problem. We are producing more doc for them this morning.

We have discovered that if we set ADABAS parm XWAIT=NO (default is YES) then the hang does not occur. However, this is not the best solution since there are performance issues in a busy system.

IBM is working on a PTF.

IBM made the fix official, it’s applied. the SVC is working.