XQuery throws INOXYE9297


I’m trying to create a XQuery using sorting and limiting of the results.

this works as expected:

(for $q in input()/Brochure return $q)[position() le 5]

as does this:

for $q in input()/Brochure return $q sort by (Date_published descending)

but I can’t combine both to

(for $q in input()/Brochure return $q sort by (Date_published descending))[position() le 5]

That throws the INOXYE9297 error. Any idea? It also happens when I combine the limiting with a where clause like “where $q/Collateral_type=‘Brochure’”


Dear Enrico,
all what you have described is correct and should work smoothly.
A remote analysis seems to be very difficult because we are using these features in all combinations in many use cases. For further analysis I would like to refer you to our support organization, who will take the issue for further analysis. It would be great if you can add some information about the used Tamino version and, if possible add a database backup.
As proposal for a quick work-around, did you try with a cursor that returns just the first 5 result items?

Best Regards,


What version of Tamino are you using? I used this query successfully with version

(for $y in input()/yacht return $y sort by (name))[position() <=5]


thanks for the reply.
We are using 4.4.1. and I try that query using the Java API.
(TXMLObjectAccessor.xquery(TXQuery)). I found out that the combined query works if I send that request via URL:

TAMINO_URL/CM?_xquery=(for $q in input()/Brochure return $q sort by (Date_published descending))[position() le 5]

So it doesn’t look like a problem with the database.

that’s the stacktrace:

Database access failure (9297, INOXYE9297, Internal database error has occurred)
com.softwareag.tamino.db.api.accessor.TXQueryException( message: Database access failure (9297, INOXYE9297, Internal database error has occurred), tag: JavaTaminoAPI_4_4_1_19, java: 1.6.0_18, os: Windows XP 5.1 ): at com.softwareag.tamino.db.api.accessor.TAccessFailureVerifier.verifyXQueryResponse(Unknown Source) at com.softwareag.tamino.db.api.accessor.TXMLObjectAccessorImpl.xquery(Unknown Source)

In my case it’s not a very big problem because I can limit the results in the loop that processes the result elements later in the code, but maybe that error helps debugging Tamino.

Dear Enrico.
This was identified with TAJ v4.4 and the implementation of reading results has been changed to byte sequence instead of char sequence. This shouldn’t occur in TAJ v8.0 or later.

Best regards, Arun